What's new

New HDTV Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

ksmoguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I am in the market for a new tv for my bedroom. Since it is for a bedroom I do not need the best tv out there, but I would like to find the best I can get for $1,000 or less. The TV would only be used 1-2 hours a night typically watching the late night news, etc and the occasional DVD.

I would like to stay under $1,000 and would like 40" - 42".

Here are a couple of models I were considering but I wanted to get input from others.

Samsung 540 40" LCD - $849
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN40B540P8FXZA

Toshiba 40" LCD $699
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9034626&type=product&id=1218011400290

Any thoughts on either of these for a bedroom TV or any other recommendations on other models/brands? I am open to both Plasma and LCD

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The Samsung you list is a very good option. I would add to your list the Panasonic G10 42" and the Panasonic S1 42". The G10 should be right on your budget whereas the S1 will leave a couple hundred bucks in your pocket.

ksmoguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Seth – Thanks. I will take a look at those models. At 1st I was leaning towards LCD but now it seems the biggest difference is that LCD is more energy efficient than Plasma, but Plasma has better viewing angles so I am heavily considering that. No more than I would use the TV I do not think energy consumption would be that big of a deal to me.

ksmoguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Since this is for a bedroom would Plasma be better due to mostly dark watching conditions or would LCD suffice?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If the viewing will primarily be in a light-controlled space that would certainly keep the plasmas in consideration. I don't think it would eliminate the LCDs though.

The Samsung and both of the Panasonics should be very solid sets. Your best bet from there is reading reviews and comparing features. It would also be good to check them out in a store, but keep in mind that they are probably not calibrated properly in a store so you have to be careful with those comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks