What's new

Cleopatra and other Elizabeth Taylor films (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm hoping we'll see some Elizabeth Taylor films released on Blu-ray in the near future. I think "Raintree County" is being prepped. However no greater candidate for a Taylor film on Blu-ray is "Cleopatra". Hopefully soon!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well Cleopatra's at the top of my list for my E.T. collection; don't know if they're waiting to see if they're going to restore it (I don't think they found enough footage) or just put out the existing version and clean it for 1080p. Hopefully sooner than later--love me some HiDef Cleo and her parade into Rome....scenes like that are what HiDef was made for for!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CLEOPATRA was filmed in Todd-AO, and if SOUTH PACIFIC is any indication of what CLEOPATRA will look like on Blu-ray, I say BRING IT ON!

And while they're at it, let's have Fox's other Todd-AO productions: THE SOUND OF MUSIC, DOCTOR DOLITTLE, STAR! (with color correction, of course), and HELLO, DOLLY! to name some that readily come to mind.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I also wouldn't mind upgrading my collection of ET's childhood films--National Velvet, Lassie Come Home and so on. My current version of Lassie looks like crap on dvd; needs a full restoration if you ask me.

I'd also like to see some of her more obscure (weird) movies like Boom! and These Old Broads. And Taming of the Shrew is also high on my list.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I wonder if we'll get "Cleopatra" for Christmas this year, or if Fox will make us wait until the in development Angelina Jolie 'Cleopatra is released in 2013, which also coincides with the film's 50th anniversary? I hope I haven't given them any ideas. ;)

Hopefully we'll see "A Place in the Sun" for Paramount's 100th, and Raintree County sooner or later from WB. They've been working on it long enough.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I watched Carrie Fisher's "Wishful Drinking" last night (after seeing it live in Toronto a week ago). It included a clip from Cleopatra's Entrance Into Rome, and the video quality was magnificent...much better than the current DVD. It really whetted my appetite for a Blu-ray edition of this film!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After recently watching the making of doc on the DVD of Cleopatra, it seems to me they've got a few scenes they could add. It wouldn't change the film much, but the snake-lady dancers could easily be added to Cleopatra's entrance to Rome. There's a scene of Cleo walking in her desert camp that could be added, if it made sense. When I watch Cleopatra, I usually just watch the Caesar part. I find Antony to be a whimpering boy, and Burton to be in full "Gawd I love my voice" mode.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
And they're in such wonderful condition, too! I'd love to add them as bonus features so we can watch them in their entirety. I agree, the first half of the film is much better. Apparently Burton's best scenes were left on the cutting room floor...a lot of it crucial characterization.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
[quote name="Johnny Angell" url="/t/288603/ When I watch Cleopatra, I usually just watch the Caesar part. I find Antony to be a whimpering boy, and Burton to be in full "Gawd I love my voice" mode.[/quote] Me too! I watched it the other week. Loved the first half but got a bit bored in the second (always do). Poor old Burton got shafted in the re-cut, he goes from bit player to whiner, but I never tire of that voice.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I concur. The first half is a very entertaining movie, and it's completely understandable why Rex Harrison was Oscar-nominated as Caesar. The second half is much less successful, much less interesting though in its day with Burton and Taylor on everyone's lips, this is likely the part of the movie everyone was actually wanting to see.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
^ Me too! Elizabeth looks breathtaking in it. I was hoping we'd get RAINTREE COUNTY before the year was out, but since MEET ME IN ST LOUIS was announced for mid-December, that seems unlikely now. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many HTF members want that film in the 'Pick 5 Warner Titles' thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks