Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Silent films frame rates on Blu-ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 31 2009 - 03:33 PM

I was wondering, when silent films start getting released on Blu-ray regularly, what will be of there frame rates? Could players be updated to support frame rates such as 16p and 18p? I've read that There Will Be Blood had a silent short included on its disc as an extra feature, however I could not find any information on its transfer. Does anyone know what format that was in? Maybe this could be a clue on how silent films will be treated in the HD era.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 03:03 AM

The Metropolis thread may have some info of interest to you:
http://www.hometheat....ay-2009-a.html

Unfortunately, there is no easy way of getting odd framerates on Blu-ray, as the standard only allows for 24p, 50i and 60i. Even if the players could be updated to handle it there would be a problem of backwards compatibility with the many displays that only accept 60Hz signals. As sad as it is, I don't see any company going through the trouble for such a small audience.

The only other option would be the a frame blending process but that would look all smeary.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 01 2009 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie O.
I was wondering, when silent films start getting released on Blu-ray regularly, what will be of there frame rates? Could players be updated to support frame rates such as 16p and 18p? I've read that There Will Be Blood had a silent short included on its disc as an extra feature, however I could not find any information on its transfer. Does anyone know what format that was in? Maybe this could be a clue on how silent films will be treated in the HD era.

its a common misconception that silent films were shot at 16 or 18 frames per second. The fact of the matter is that there is no real standard for silent films. Edison, for example, recommended that they be shoot at 46 frames per second.

Here is an interesting website on the subject.
Silent Films: What Was the Right Speed?
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 01 2009 - 04:38 PM

Some silents are both 480p and speed corrected on DVD. Fox did this with The Iron Horse and The Lodger. So, I'd guess 1080p wouldn't be difficult. We can expect Metropolis to be 24fps on BluRay, of course.