What's new

Old Sony Turntable..New Cartridge?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I would like to get into Buying some Albums, I had saw a few I would like to buy and hear for myself if this Format is really as good as they say or as good as I remember ;)

AnyHow I have an old Sony Turntable PS LX-120, Now I know it is probally a POS but I was wondering IF I can get a Decent Cartridge or Needle would it be worth Keeping?? Or should I just invest in a half decent Turntable?? IF so can you reccomend a Turntable with a Good Cartridge for 150- 300 USD??

Or any reccomendation of Cartridge turntable for 500 MAX!! Also I dont have the best Equipment but sounds fine to me and from what I have tested out there in alot of Audio stores it sounds half decent to me..

I usually Enjoy listening to DVD-A and SACD MC Formats a lot and been hearing some talk of how Albums sounds compared to DVD-A and with the resurgence of Albums being for sale I figured I would like to bite.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Gerald, welcome back to vinyl! I don't know if I would invest any more money into the Sony turntable, but for your budget you can purchase a brand new Rega P1 turntable including an Ortofon OM5e moving magnet cart. All you will need is an MM phono stage and you're ready to go. Alternatively you could purchase a Rega Planar 3 used from Audiogon (outstanding turntable, one of the best value's in audio)

What does your system currently consist of?

Cheers,
Alon

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I have a Sony Reciever STR-898, Denon 1930CI DVD Player, HSU VTF-1 Sub, Sony Speakers bought in 2002, 5.0..I had the Sony Turntable for a number of Years bought back in 91'.

Now the Reciever has a Phono input so I should be good there?? What is a MM Phono Stage??

I also have a Marantz 4001 Reciever that I was going to switch with the Sony Reciever to see how it sounded??

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Gerald, there are two types of cartridges. Moving Magnet or Moving Coil. You'll want to match the cartridge with an appropriate phono stage

You can try the phono inputs on the Sony to get started, and when you're ready to upgrade you could purchase a Cambridge Audio 540P, this is a really good MM phono stage on a budget and will match the cartridge on the Rega P1. This whole setup (turntable, cartridge, phono) can be purchased new for under $500. I'd advise auditioning this system before purchase, but I think you will be really happy with this setup (I'm still astounded at what my Rega Planar 3 is capable of vs my Naim CD player which cost many times the turntable)

Cheers,
Alon

TarangSwaroop

Auditioning
Real Name
TarangSwaroop
ya its work and useful me...tnx
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Amazon is blowing out the last of the inexpensive Technics consumer grade tables. Amazon.com: Panasonic Technics SLBD20D Semi Automatic Turntable: Electronics . Probably a fine table for what you're after.

Needle Doctor has some neat tables.

Budget Turntables: From $99.99, Choose From Over 120 Turntables, 800-229-0644

The Audio-Technica PL120 is fairly well regarded. I'd recommend avoiding "DJ style tables other than the aforementioned Audio Technica. The Denon DP-300F and Project Debut 4 look interesting to me. Lots of choices. Seek out your local Hi-fi shop, you may be surprised at what they have - my shop has a Rega P2 for $400 new, that's not bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks