Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to dispose of an old AV receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 12:02 PM

Hey all, my receiver crapped out after seven years of service and my new upgrade will be here tomorrow.

I don't feel right about just putting it in the trash and I know that I probably can't sell it so how is it recommended that I dispose of this thing?

I've looked online and somewhat on here with no firm answers. Any ideas or tips?

Thanks!
-Keith-       

#2 of 6 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,509 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted May 07 2009 - 12:47 PM

Best Buy has a recycle program available for this kind of thing. You could also try Craig's List in the "Free" section to see if someone wants it to fix or for parts.

#3 of 6 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 02:25 PM

I checked out Bestbuy's recycling program and it looks like I'll be doing that. I'm not a big fan of Craig's List, to many weirdos.Posted Image
-Keith-       

#4 of 6 genedjr

genedjr

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 08 2009 - 04:52 PM

Look at local shops. They will quote you a fix and a buy-out. That may be a better choice.
...gene
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V890
HDTV: Vizio SV420XVT
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NC615
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD60
Cable Box: Motorola DCT6412 (Comcast)Center Speaker: Infinity RS-VideoL/R Speakers: Infinity 625Rear Speakers: Infinity 325Subwoofer: Klipsch SW-8 II

#5 of 6 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,697 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 08 2009 - 07:09 PM

Your local waste management or sanation system should have an electronics collection center where you drop off your old, non functional electronics. Many now provide this service one or two days each week free of charge.

#6 of 6 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted May 10 2009 - 07:25 AM

Update: I went the Bestbuy route. The entire process was quick and simple taking less then 5 minutes. It also allowed me to get that extra HDMI cable and pick up another Blu-Ray to run on my new gear. Posted Image
-Keith-