What's new

*** Official X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I can't believe there isn't more discussion about this film. It opens Friday.

I'm bumping a thread of a major film where the previous reply is 3 months old!:eek:

I just saw the trailer and it looks great. Are there any "non-spoilerish" reviews out there yet? I know the film is leaked, but I purposefully avoided any comments about that. I'm looking for legit reviews of the film.

Any one else going to see it?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm kinda surprised there isn't more "buzz" too. So far it's at 100% on RT, but that's only with 6 or 7 reviews in. I'm almost positive it will be better than X3(not really difficult to top that one) and if it's on par with the first two X-Men flicks I'll be happy. :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely catch it this weekend. For me, Jackman as Wolverine is the highlight of the X-Men series (after X3 ended, I turned to my friend and said "Well, at least Jackman was good again") so I'm hoping the movie is good.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Travis,

It isn't. It's better than The Last Stand but not by much. For me, Singer's version of Wolverine's origins (flashbacks in X-Men and X2) trump this film easily.

That's how off it is. Some details line up pretty great with Singer's two films. Other details (the most important ones) either don't come close or are half-a$$ed in this film. Ultimately, what does the film in is this specific line spoken by Jackman(who again is great but let down by everything else around him)"I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice." We don't get that.

Here's a simple question: After viewing X-Men and X2 more specifically, how do you think Logan lost his memory?

As an aside, I've seen both versions.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hoped this movie would relate to events as shown in X2. Still, planning to see it this weekend.

I really thought the studio should have just called it "Wolverine." I guess if you are planning a number of other films in the series, "X-Men Origins" makes sense from a marketing perspective, but as a movie, "Wolverine" is a much more powerful title.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Sam,

It relates to X2 in a half-ass way. That's the bad part about it (besides the third act). Again, sometimes it goes all the way. Other times, it totally screws with continuity.

The actual procedure involving Logan is where it starts to go south. Singer's version is much more dramatic...more searing...more effective. Here, it happens its hollow as hell.

But again, it's better than X-Men The Last Stand just based on Hugh and Liev's chemistry.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the ads have been terrible. It looks more like X-Men Rejects (since they have ads touting all of these lame characters besides Wolverine) than Wolverine.

A stronger focus might have been helpful. As it is, it looks like Fox just wanted a much cheaper X-Men (which would follow with Fox's terrible business decisions on these things). That is only based on the commercials and the last trailer.

I'll probably see it, but feel no immediate pull to the theater. That is rare for me for a summer film. I am much more excited for the other May offerings.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

Telling you now, just stay away from it if you really liked X-Men and X2.

With this film, this franchise is inching closer to Fantastic Four territory.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
sad thing about the comercials too is it looks like they are recycling xmen powers. teleporting, optic blasts. i miss the world where people had unique powers, but that seems like 3 different nightcrawlers now since x2

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, the optic blast is Cyclops. I don't know about the teleporting. I haven't paid too close attention to the trailers since I'm not going to see the movie until maybe cable (note the lowercase c).

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Being the geeks that we are, my brother and I will see it Friday no matter what the reviews say. We do this with every big comic flick. We're gluttons for punishment.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
how is it cyclops? isn't this thing set 20 or so years ago or something? please tell me him and wolverine never meet in the movie.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Shane,

They don't actually meet but there's definitely no way Scott doesn't find out how he and the other prisoners escaped...if you really think about it. I'll just put it that.

One of many continuity blunders, in my opinion.

Charles Knox

Agent
Real Name
jake
I'm a big Wolverine fan, but the trailers for this movie looks awful. Really cannot see this having an $80million opening weekend.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm hoping that this is good.

But if it isn't, then the only ones to blame are the filmmakers and Marvel Comics.

Because there is a 40+ years of X-Men comic book continuity & story-telling already in place.

Until these filmmakers learn to embrace the source material, all they are doing is ticking off their best advocates.

All we hear these days is "viral marketing". Why don't filmmakers of comic book movies simply listen to comic book fans, and then every thing else would fall into place for them?

(P.S. - I know why they don't listen: they think they know the characters better than we do)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The best movies of adapted material always respect the source material. The first two X-Men films did, the first two Spider-Man films, the Dark Knight and so on.

I don't think it is a matter of studios or writers or directors thinking they know these characters better, rather it is a marketing decision on what plays better to a wider audience. Those decisions usually make for bad movies. Kids are smarter than they are often given credit for and they can sense when something feels like a product rather than a genuine article.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Mixed feelings on this one. Was excited about seeing it but based on the generally bad reviews, cannot justify dropping $10 on a ticket for it. It's in my Netflix queue, and I am pretty sure it'll be on Blu/DVD sooner than later.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

What does Marvel have to do with this? The rights to the X-Men characters still lie with 20th Century Fox. That's one of the reasons the film was made in the first place, if they don't make a movie with those characters in a couple of years the rights revert back to Marvel Studios. And Fox obviously doesn't want that. That's also why there are reboots rumored for Daredevil and the Fantastic Four.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks