Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 3-24-2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#21 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers
Disney's release strategy for Bolt is really creative: release the Blu-ray version on Sunday (and include the SD-DVD), and then release the SD-DVD versions on Tuesday. I'd be curious to find out if this significantly increases their Blu-ray sales for Bolt.
Probably not if the store where I got Bolt Blu today is any indication. They had large displays of the Bolt SD discs (both 1 and 2-discers) at both store entrances, with the BD copy I got in the electronics section being the only one I saw.

#22 of 73 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 08:18 AM

From all the anecdotal evidence I'm reading, it looks as though a staggered BD/DVD release is only going to work if there's at least a week between the two. A lot of retailers aren't picking up on the fine nuances in Disney's program (because it's just so hard to read and follow directions), which will definitely throw a wrench in the works if they're hoping to pull any conclusive data from the advance BD release.

It's Bolt on Blu-ray and Lilo & Stitch SE this week for me. Oh, how I wish Lilo was coming to Blu . . . but I've waited long enough for this 2-disc set (I've held off on the original release for over six years because of the rumors about this set), I can't hold out any more! The Target deal plus the $10 coupon look to be the best bet on this, unless Amazon pulls something really amazing out of their hat.

#23 of 73 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 22 2009 - 09:19 AM

Also many if not all Walmarts put the sd dvd of bolt on the floor SATURDAY.
that doesn't help the number at all.
facebook.com/whotony

#24 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 09:59 AM

That's not surprising, Tony. The Wal-Mart I referenced in my last post had at least one of the Bolt displays paired with a Twilight display so they probably just threw all the Bolts on it when they put Twilight out yesterday.

#25 of 73 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 10:10 AM

I think Disney's strategy is interesting and good in concept. The anecdotes seem to indicate that the retail execution is another matter. You'd think that releasing it earlier than the SD and including a digital copy and a standard dvd would help boost the Blu-ray sales numbers a bit.

I picked up Bolt today and I may pick up a few of the Bonds this week.

#26 of 73 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 12:23 PM

Jeff, thanks for the coupon on Bolt, it came in very handy today.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#27 of 73 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.F
Also, for those who may be looking to get the Bond BD exclusive set at Best Buy this week (the one with QOS, Man W/Golden Gun and License To Kill), apparently that is a misprint. The HDRoom checked with Fox PR about the set and they said that Golden Gun and License won't be released until May.

I hope you're incorrect, because I just placed an online order for in-store pickup of Gift Set #3 + the Best Buy exclusive 3-pack set of QoS, LtK and TMwtGG . Oh, and the online prices of the gift sets are $2 less than the Sunday ad. So, #3 $57.99 + $59.99 for exclusive 3-pack - $25.00 = me happy!

Hope everything is there for me to pick up Tuesday....
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#28 of 73 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2009 - 02:59 PM

Target took the coupon tonight for Bolt on BD. $27 - $10 = $17.

I purchased the pasta at Target as well (so it's on the very same receipt for the rebate!) and I'll get that right in the mail tomorrow.

$17 - $4 = $13. That's awesome!

But still no $5 coupon at the register. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#29 of 73 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

Screenwriter

• 1,000 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:04 PM

I also have the $10 off coupon from Disney. From Mike, I know that Target accepts the coupon. Does Best Buy accept it? There's a Best Buy close to where I live and both Targets (brand new; opened this month) are farther away.

Is there any other retailer that accepts this coupon?

#30 of 73 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:11 PM

I have printed the $5 dvd coupon for BOLT (2 disc) & I'll be buying it & Lilo & Stitch SE so it should be: $22.99 + $15.99 - $5 coupon & the register should knock $10 off the combo. Which is basically $23.98 + tax for the 2 double disc sets. If it works that way, not too shabby. Then 2 Bonds at Wally world with little brothers 10% discount (QofS SE & NSNA). Busy day but a lot of savings.

#31 of 73 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith I
I also have the $10 off coupon from Disney. From Mike, I know that Target accepts the coupon. Does Best Buy accept it? There's a Best Buy close to where I live and both Targets (brand new; opened this month) are farther away.

They're manufacturer's coupons which should be accepted by almost everybody.

#32 of 73 OFFLINE   Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:17 PM

Quote:

The Best Buy by me took it but the register didn't recognize the bar code and he manually took the $10 off. They also matched Frys $24.99. Only funny thing is they charged tax on the $24.99; shouldn't it be tax after the coupon is applied?

#33 of 73 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic
The Best Buy by me took it but the register didn't recognize the bar code and he manually took the $10 off. They also matched Frys $24.99. Only funny thing is they charged tax on the $24.99; shouldn't it be tax after the coupon is applied?

The fine print on the coupon says something about the purchaser being responsible for the tax.

#34 of 73 OFFLINE   Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 05:27 PM

Quote:

The coupon is not retailer specific, so it SHOULD be accepted anywhere that the Bolt Blu-ray is being sold. However, I have read reports that numerous Toys R Us locations refuse internet / printed coupons. In my own personal experience, internet / printed coupons have been denied at my local Wal-Marts (even after escalating it to a supervisory person).

I used it at Best Buy today with no issues, and have used these same coupons at both Best Buy and Target on previous occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate
Jeff, thanks for the coupon on Bolt, it came in very handy today.
You're quite welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Target took the coupon tonight for Bolt on BD. $27 - $10 = $17.

I purchased the pasta at Target as well (so it's on the very same receipt for the rebate!) and I'll get that right in the mail tomorrow.

$17 - $4 = $13. That's awesome!

But still no $5 coupon at the register. Posted Image
Your rebate may be denied as the effective period doesn't begin until Tuesday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers
And let's not forget the all-important product tie-in: Bolt and Pasta Posted Image

Key requirement for the rebate offer: Cash register receipt from your Bolt DVD or Blu-ray purchase imprinted with store name and dated between March 24, 2009 and July 31, 2009 with purchase price circled (photocopies acceptable).

So don't pick-up the Blu-ray on Sunday or Monday, along with your pasta, and expect for $4 back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic
Doh! I didn't catch that on my purchase at Best Buy either. I paid $27.99 + $2.17 tax and then the $10.00 coupon was applied. The $10 should have been deducted from the $27.99 prior to sales tax being calculated. I paid $0.78 more than I should have.

The funny thing about my trip to purchase the Bolt Blu-ray was that I was undecided on where to purchase it while en route because Best Buy and Target are in the same shopping center. I considered getting it at Target to try Mike's tactic and see if the register would generate a $5 Blu-ray coupon. The cons of getting at Target were: 1) it's a Super Target store and the Electronics / Movies section is at the back of the store which seems like a half-mile walk (each way); and 2) I thought that Target's price was $1 higher than Best Buy's price. The pros of getting it at Best Buy were 1) it's one of the newer, smaller Best Buy stores (for a quick in and out); and 2) it was $1 cheaper (in my mind). So I picked it up at Best Buy, spent $1.00 more than I could have (+ $0.78 extra in tax), and didn't get a Target $5 Blu-ray coupon! But at least it was quick. Posted Image

#35 of 73 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 22 2009 - 05:45 PM

Deleted

#36 of 73 OFFLINE   TonyTone

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman
It's Bolt on Blu-ray and Lilo & Stitch SE this week for me....The Target deal plus the $10 coupon look to be the best bet on this..
It'll be interesting to see if Target will honor the $10-off Bolt/Lilo deal if you purchase the Bolt Blu-ray and Lilo and Stitch SD titles; I say this because the Target ad shows the Bolt/Lilo $10-off offer below a graphic of the Bolt SD cover. It would be a sweet deal if Target honors the offer on Bolt BD, as that would mean just $23 for both Bolt BD (includes both SD and digital copies as well) and Lilo 2-disc SD after Target $10-off offer and Disney Bolt $10-off coupon.

#37 of 73 OFFLINE   ShanonS

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 04:30 AM

I went to our local Wal-Mart last night, coupon in hand to get the Bolt BD and all they had was the two standard DVD versions. They definitely did not understand Disney's promo. I'll be lucky if they put it out this week.

#38 of 73 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 23 2009 - 04:31 AM

Geez. . .I wait all this time for a Lilo & Stitch SE and now I have to KEEP waiting because they didn't bother to put it out on Blu. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#39 of 73 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 04:55 AM

For what it's worth, the terms of the pasta rebate form says receipts dated between March 1, 2009 and July 31, 2009. So they may honor the early purchasers.

#40 of 73 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 23 2009 - 05:06 AM

Unfortunately, Step 2 still says March 24 though I'm going to expect a little leeway on that issue since it makes no sense to offer it except for the 1st 2 days of Blu Ray release.

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow