-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Have there been any non-OAR blu-rays yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:11 AM

Lord knows standard DVD has had it's share of non-OAR DVDs in it's lifetime so I'm wondering if Blu-Ray has seen any such crap come out yet or if it's the accepted norm that hi-def will always be OAR?

#2 of 48 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:16 AM

Lonesome Dove, although I very much prefer the 16:9 ratio, and looks as though it may have shot with 16:9 in mind, although it aired 4x3 as did everything at the time.

#3 of 48 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:43 AM

Alliance's Canadian BD release of Seven is 1.78:1 instead of 2.35:1.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 48 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:51 AM

The Koch Vision release of Gulliver's Travels (1939) is cropped from 1.33:1 to 1.78:1, and may be the worst BD release of all time.

Max Fleischer's Gulliver's Travels Blu-ray

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 48 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:54 AM

There was a bit of controversy over the 2:1 ratio of Criterion's release of The Last Emperor, thought the change (from the original 2.35:1 ratio) was made at the behest of the cinematographer and with director's endoresement. Whatever you think of their decision to reframe the film (and I tend to agree with those who argue that it was a very poor decision), at least it was not done simply to have the screen filled up. Nevertheless, the Blu-ray presentation of the film is not in its original aspect ratio.

#6 of 48 Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 08:24 AM

Gulliver's Travels is the worst example I've heard of. All the reviews of Lonesome Dove seemed to indicate that it was shot with widescreen in mind (there was some speculation that it might have been shot with a theatrical release in mind), so that one doesn't bother me too much.

I do think we'll see more and more 4:3 and wider-than-1.78 material cropped to fill 16:9 screens. It's a shame, but there are an awful lot of people who don't like black bars of any sort.
Brian

#7 of 48 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,926 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 18 2009 - 09:31 AM

I believe that Lonesome Dove, like many TV productions from the 80s, may have been shot protected with an eye towards a possible European theatrical release. Examples of this type of work from the 80s include the Twin Peaks pilot, The Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 48 Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 09:42 AM

First 7 episodes of South Park season 12 is not OAR, but the second half is.

#9 of 48 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd smith
First 7 episodes of South Park season 12 is not OAR, but the second half is.

It's been discussed. The first half was made with the intention to matte it. There's a lot of head space to confirm this.

Season One of Justice League was also shot open matted, but has been put on BD in 1.33:1.

Fortunately there aren't that many examples of wrong aspect ratios yet. Let's hope it continues to stay that way.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 48 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 12:38 PM

I was going to mention Justice League (with a caveat) but Brian got there first. Other than that title and The Last Emperor I really don't know of any.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 48 Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
It's been discussed. The first half was made with the intention to matte it. There's a lot of head space to confirm this.

Season One of Justice League was also shot open matted, but has been put on BD in 1.33:1.

Fortunately there aren't that many examples of wrong aspect ratios yet. Let's hope it continues to stay that way.

I have read the discussions and after watching the first half on BR and then the 2nd half, the first half looks obviously cropped and just not "right" IMO. I think 4:3 is OAR for the first seven episodes and the 16/9 version on the BR is a compromise in that respect to my eyes. Just my opinion from watching my set the past week.......

#12 of 48 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 18 2009 - 02:20 PM

I think there are a good number of 1.85 movies that have the matte opened up to 1.76 -- not a huge difference in picture information, but doesn't fit the official OAR.

People will continue to argue about Sleeping Beauty as to what the real OAR is and what parts of the animation cel were supposed to seen or hidden. Personally I believe the current BD is as close to the true intended OAR, , but there are lots of doubts. I still love my LD Boxset and think it's one of the most gorgeous movie sets ever produced though the BD just destroys the LD in picture quality of course.

And then there is poor Gulliver who got the full mutilation.

#13 of 48 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 18 2009 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McHale
I do think we'll see more and more 4:3 and wider-than-1.78 material cropped to fill 16:9 screens. It's a shame, but there are an awful lot of people who don't like black bars of any sort.

Disney came up with a solution to appease black bar haters. Other studios should seriously consider it.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#14 of 48 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norman
I think there are a good number of 1.85 movies that have the matte opened up to 1.76 -- not a huge difference in picture information, but doesn't fit the official OAR.

But that's been happening so many times it has been regarded as normal, and unless your television can set overscan off you're not likely to see it anyway. The same thing happens with 1.37:1 films that are slightly cut to 1.33:1.

Quote:
People will continue to argue about Sleeping Beauty as to what the real OAR is and what parts of the animation cel were supposed to seen or hidden. Personally I believe the current BD is as close to the true intended OAR, , but there are lots of doubts. I still love my LD Boxset and think it's one of the most gorgeous movie sets ever produced though the BD just destroys the LD in picture quality of course.

I think it's clear that Sleeping Beauty was supposed to be released in Cinemascope, and was changed into a Technirama production during production. Otherwise I don't know why they would bother animating the entire 2.55:1 frame, if only 2.20:1 of the frame would be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd smith

I have read the discussions and after watching the first half on BR and then the 2nd half, the first half looks obviously cropped and just not "right" IMO. I think 4:3 is OAR for the first seven episodes and the 16/9 version on the BR is a compromise in that respect to my eyes. Just my opinion from watching my set the past week.......

Well it's supposed to be watchable in either format, of course. I think both versions are equally compromised. Most shots didn't look right in 4:3, and other shots probably wouldn't look exactly right (cramped, perhaps) in 16:9.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#15 of 48 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 01:15 AM

Quote:

I think you are talking about a few of the Paramount catalogs such as Truman Show and Friday the 13th, right?

#16 of 48 Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 01:18 AM

The blu-ray of "Planet Terror" has been opened up to 1.78:1 from 'scope. As has the Canadian release of "Hostage", the thriller with Bruce Willis.

I ca't honestly belive that anyone considers the 1.85-1.78 thing an issue. Even with zero overscan, the difference is barely noticable, and you'll get far more varation than that from the masking plates in theatre to theatre.
Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...

#17 of 48 Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Well it's supposed to be watchable in either format, of course. I think both versions are equally compromised. Most shots didn't look right in 4:3, and other shots probably wouldn't look exactly right (cramped, perhaps) in 16:9.

I respect your opinion, I just dont agree. I watched 5-6 of the first 7 episodes in 4:3 as well and nothing jumped out to me as unusual from all my SP viewing, but in 16:9 it just feels/looks like you are up to close (since they chopped the top and bottoms off). This all goes back to normal though with episode 8 and on for me though and those dont looks "strange" since it is obvious 16:9 is the primary focus.

#18 of 48 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bijelic
The blu-ray of "Planet Terror" has been opened up to 1.78:1 from 'scope.

I thought I read somewhere that this was done at Robert Rodriguez's request.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#19 of 48 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,926 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 19 2009 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bijelic
The blu-ray of "Planet Terror" has been opened up to 1.78:1 from 'scope. As has the Canadian release of "Hostage", the thriller with Bruce Willis.

I ca't honestly belive that anyone considers the 1.85-1.78 thing an issue. Even with zero overscan, the difference is barely noticable, and you'll get far more varation than that from the masking plates in theatre to theatre.
Very true. Some aperture plates vary between 1.66:1 to 1.9:1. The Truman Show has been mentioned, and although some sources point to 1.85:1 as the correct ratio, the widescreen laserdisc and VHS were in 1.66:1.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 48 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 19 2009 - 03:30 AM

Both The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are at 1.78:1 on BD when they should be at 1.33:1.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow