What's new

Can I mount DVD player vertically? (1 Viewer)

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, I have a random question:

Can I mount/use a regular DVD player vertically? (Transport tray would move left to right, disc would be vertical) (Or tray moving up/down would be OK too, if its somehow "better")

Reason:
My wife and I are expecting our first baby, and in preparing the nursery, my wife has decided that I must mount a TV in the room in anticipation of the late-night feeding/soothing of the child. As silly as this may sound, some friends of ours had a setup like this and she's keen for me outfit our room the same way. In particular, she wants a flat TV on a pivoting bracket so it can be pushed up against a wall when not in use.

OK, fine, she's carrying my child, so she gets a TV in the nursery!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Conveniently, the wife only insists that I provide her a DVD player, saving me the lease on another satellite box. In an effort to save space and minimize the wiring hassle, etc., I would like to mount the DVD to the back of the TV. I've seen brackets like this:
Peerless ACC 931, ACC 932 - DVD/VCR Mount Bracket for Flat Panel Mounts

that will let me mount the DVD player "normally" under the TV, but this negates the ability to "flatten" everything against the wall. I'd like to mount the player vertically behind the TV. I have all the tools I need to make any mounting brackets I might need, so getting the mount isn't the problem, I'm just worried about the effects of mounting the player in that orientation.

I know "mobile" DVD players are advertised as being capable of "any angle" mounting, so I'm worried that regular home stuff might suffer. Now granted this won't be subject to the same shock environment as a car, so maybe I'll be OK? Even if its going to somehow shorten the life of the player, its not necessarily a deal breaker, since I have two currently-unused surplus players in my collection (the result of upgrades elsewhere). I'd like to use one of them if possible, but if this plan is a sure-fire way to kill a DVD player, I'm not so keen to waste an otherwise perfectly good machine in a doomed experiment.

Anybody have any wisdom to offer on the subject?

Oh, and in case it isn't obvious, I'm hoping not to buy one of the aforementioned "mobile" players just because I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to lay out $100+ for this project. I have everything I need "in house" except the pivoting bracket.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't think so..............
Vertical capable drives, as in some computers, have the snap in wire piece that holds the disc in position. Regular dvd drawers don't have these. If you try to turn it vertical, the disc will slide out of position, and possibly jam in the player.

If you're just talking about doing it while not in use, that should be ok. I just don't think you can use it in a vertical position.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You sure you really want to do that? TV images are stimulating to the brain, so having a TV on late at night is a bad idea for both mother and child as they (and you, to some extent) will already be getting relatively sleepless nights.

It is recommended to avoid computers or TV for 30 minutes before going to bed to allow your brain activity to relax, otherwise it'll take longer to fall asleep, regardless of how tired you are.

In addition, with the TV in there, as the child gets older, say toddler age, the kid will want the TV on all the time. Don't open yourself up to a source of additional tantrums.

I mentioned this subject to my wife, and she told me she subscribed to free parenting magazines and read them while nursing. Reading ink on paper doesn't cause the same brain stimulation.

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, but I can assure you any and all arguments have already been made (and lost). In the interest of domestic tranquility, the handyman abides.

In the meantime, the most obvious possible solutions smacked me in the face while I was researching the same topic on another forum, which is that I also have an unused Playstation2 in the surplus pile. Vertical orientation is not a problem for that unit for sure, so I think I have my problem solved.

One pivoting mount and a sheet metal bracket, and I'm in business.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, since you already made the arguments, good luck to you.

Although in the long run I guarantee you're more likely to get more grief from your wife due to her additional lack of sleep and the length of time it takes to get the baby and then herself settled down in the middle of the night from having the TV in there than you will over refusing to install it.

I'd suggest only installing it on the condition that she not wake you in the middle of the night to take over watching the baby, but I know that would never work. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks