What's new

Onkyo HT-R560 and Playstation 3 (1 Viewer)

AlienBeans

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I have an Onkyo HT-R560 receiver and just bought a playstation 3. When I connected everything up. I connected the PS3 to the Onkyo receiver via HDMI cable. But, after getting it all connected, I get video and did all the setups on the PS3 and even did an update, but I get no audio. Has anybody else here experienced anything like this? Anybody got any ideas on what to try. I've set it up in the PS3 to use the HDMI cable for audio. I even connected a digital optical cable for audio and changed the settings in the PS3 for that, and I still get no audio. Hope someone here can give me an option to try that may correct the problem. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Every search I do for the HT-R560 turns up the HTS-5100 instead.
If the receiver is HDMI pass through, there's no way you'll get the HD audio from a PS3. You'll need to use the optical output. If you're not using a factory assigned optical input, for DVD player, you'll need to assign the optical input you use, to DVD player. Your owner's manual will walk you through that. Other than that, and making sure the PS3 is set for the right audio output signal, I don't know what else to tell you. It has to be one of those, unless the receiver is having a real problem.
Good luck!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
That model receiver is one of the lame "pass-through" HDMI ones that don't handle audio over HDMI. Need higher model to get audio from HDMI.

To get audio from optical you also have to change settings in the receiver setup to map the input you connected with to the appropriate source selection.

Edit: Oops Ed beat me with the same answer
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

AlienBeans

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric

Yeah, I thought about all that. I've tried it both ways. I have assigned the optical audio port to the DVD player but I still get no audio. I'll go try it again and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
If I have HDMI video hooked up through my receiver (H/K) the receiver won't allow any other audio other than HDMI. If yours is similar, and since it won't allow HDMI audio, perhaps you can't use the HDMI input for video.

stereoMario

Auditioning
Real Name
dddddddddd
Your sound might not be working because the HDMI and optical audio inputs might not be working.

I made the mistake of buying this Onkyo and in less than two years all of the HDMI video inputs started intermittently breaking. Sometimes when you selected the channel both the image and the sound would not come though.

Also the rear speakers stopped working from time to time and I have to run the setup again to get them to turn back on.

I am not sure that Onkyo was ready to introduce this technology, it has been a nightmare and my stereo is going to cost almost as much as I bought it for to fix it.

Oh and there customer service was no help, they just told to bring it to an “authorized service center for repair”. They had also had no idea where there was one in my city it took them a day to get back to me.

Stay away from Onkyo in the future! I know I will.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by stereoMario
Stay away from Onkyo in the future! I know I will.
Onkyo makes a very good product. I know of Denons, Pioneers, HKs, and other brands that had problems too. It can happen with any brand. There are lots of Onkyo owners here, including me, that love their receivers. Onkyo and Denon are the two most recommended brands at this and most other home theater forums, because they are good, usually long lasting gear. You're welcome to buy whatever you like, but it's not good that your very first post here is telling someone to stay away from one of the most recommended brands..............

boslamr

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale Brooks
I have the same receiver and PS3 for over 3 years now.. Never had any issues. But the PS3 does require you to just one output or the other. So if you want to play it with pass-through HDMI.. you set the PS3 for HDMI audio out. And if I want it to play through the Receiver I set for Optical Out. But my PS3 won't do both like my blu ray player would. This is in the system or audio settings menu on the PS3. but remember having to change it a couple times because i moved the PS3 to a bedroom direct to tv and later moved it back.. each time i had to go into PS3 menus to change it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks