Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gandhi

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have yet to watch the copy I purchased on Saturday but there is a very good (as usual) review with captures over at DVD Beaver. Looking forward to seeing it this week on the pj. Glad to see more great older films making it to Blu ray. I only wish Fox would lower their prices to what Sony is selling Gandhi and other titles for.

#2 of 6 Xylon

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted February 17 2009 - 01:40 AM

So how is it?

#3 of 6 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 02:24 PM

After watching Gandhi today I have to say it looks very good (128" screen) - very film like with nice detail. Some scenes were softer looking but I think they were mostly intentional. Anyone familiar with The Sand Pebbles as an example of film making it to blu ray as one would more or less see it in a theater will be thankful Sony has given us another great movie that looks like it should. Close ups are excellent as well. All in all a worthy addition.

#4 of 6 RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 12:33 AM

This Blu-ray looks very, very good IMO. As mentioned it is impressive like The Sand Pebbles looks.

#5 of 6 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 01:09 PM

Actually, the BD title that this looks most like to my eyes is A Passage To India.

Some scenes show fine film grain, some are soft focus, and then some are startlingly clear and "window like" as though they were scanned from large-format elements.

Very impressive. Very, very film-like.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#6 of 6 RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 21 2009 - 02:55 AM

Yes it reminded me of A Passage To India as well which I also own. I think Gandhi has more detail and less grain than both A Passage To India and The Sand Pebbles though.

I'm just glad we're getting these really good movies with really good quality on Blu-ray. I'm hoping the studios continue to give us these even if they don't sell that well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users