-

Photo
- - - - -

Are BD releases too cheap...? Disney CEO Robert Iger thinks so!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 02:02 PM

In a conference call with analyst it looks as if Robert Iger noted that he would like to take a page from Fox's pricing structure. Too bad... this would likely cause me to buy less Disney releases this year.

Note: emphasis mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBusiness.com
"It's clear that the economy has had an impact on DVD sales," said Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger on a conference call with analysts today. "We need to be more selective on what we choose to make and what we choose to distribute."

Iger added that, with many of Disney's Blu-ray titles including features such as a standard-definition of the film and other extras, the company may be able to raise prices on such titles.

Link
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#2 of 70 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted February 03 2009 - 02:55 PM

If those included DVDs are that pricey, please, by all means, don't include them so that prices can stay reasonable. Posted Image

#3 of 70 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
In a conference call with analyst it looks as if Robert Iger noted that he would like to take a page from Fox's pricing structure. Too bad... this would likely cause me to buy less Disney releases this year.

Note: emphasis mine

Link

Well, he can go ahead and try. I already skip Disney BD releases because of the high prices. Disney doesn't get a DVD sale from me because I'd like to get the BD and they don't get a BD sale because the prices are too high....go figure. Iger'll just make it that much easier to continue skipping Disney titles if he decides prices will go up.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 70 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,781 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 03 2009 - 03:03 PM

If this happens (and I doubt it will), I bet they do it one time and see the drop in sales and go back to the current prices.

#5 of 70 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
If this happens (and I doubt it will), I bet they do it one time and see the drop in sales and go back to the current prices.

That is definitely my hope. Well that and I hope they do it on a title I don't want.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 70 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 05:35 PM

hey Disney want to make money?
open your vault and make your catalog regularly available

0 supply = 0 sales

raising your prices in this economy/climate isn't going to help your cause

#7 of 70 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 06:07 PM

So, does anyone want to go back and redo their worst/best studio votes? Posted Image
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 70 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
"It's clear that the economy has had an impact on DVD sales," said Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger on a conference call with analysts today. "We need to be more selective on what we choose to make and what we choose to distribute."

This has me more concerned than a price increase.

If studios cut back on catalog titles (which are few are far enough between to begin with) then they can raise the prices to $50 a title and it won't effect me much because there won't be hardly anything for me to buy.
Death before Streaming!

#9 of 70 David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 12:26 AM

Not a good idea.

I could understand a premium if Disney presented something a bit classier, but their BDs are already like adware for their other products. Ratatouille must have about a dozen previews and commercials that I just kept having to skip and forward through. Probably 15 to 20 minutes or more of crap before you even get to a menu.

#10 of 70 Loregnum

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 01:50 AM

haha yeah, go and raise prices in a recession and think that consumers, already cutting back, will not cut back even more. Logical.

It is like the human species is making its best effort to get dumber as time goes on. Mind boggling...

#11 of 70 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
So, does anyone want to go back and redo their worst/best studio votes? Posted Image

So that vote was for how the studios will do in 2009? Let me grab my crystal ball. Posted Image

#12 of 70 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 04:32 AM

The audience for these remarks was a bunch of financial analysts, so I would not put too much stock in what was said. No one in their right mind expects that raising prices will be a winning strategy in the current economic climate.

Putting that aside, Disney really does need to figure out how to get the average SD DVD consumer with a family to buy in to BluRay.

Having a digital copy or SD DVD in the same box is part of that strategy. I don't disagree with those here that resent having to pay for something they neither want or need, but the target audience for most Disney fare is not the folks that hang out here, but the family with kids that has several SD DVD players around the house, in the car, etc. For them, a Bluray disc that can only be played in the family room is a non-starter.

Brian

#13 of 70 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,364 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Disney makes great BluRays; but I would have to conclude that Iger is a stupid, stupid man. A couple of points I'd like to bring up:

1.) DISNEY was one of the main studios backing up BluRay from the start. A lot of market analysts agreed, a couple of years ago, that if Disney wanted to use only BluRay that the format had a better chance of success. They were right. However...WHERE are all the catalog titles on BR???

2.) Disney has missed out on several major releases that came out only on standard. They should have doubled up on Peter Pan and Mary Poppins--two of their most successful catalog titles, ever. Why did Disney miss out this opportunity??

3.) High prices on catalog titles pretty much means that those movies will not sell well. It's so dumb--if 90% of collectors already have the title on standard, they may or may not be enthusiastic about a BR. Basically, movie fans are only upgrading their standard def versions when A.) the BR is a substantial upgrade on the old dvd and B.) when the price is very low, or the title can be found on sale.

4.) Robert Iger is clearly an old school economist that things that the streets of the U.S. are still paved with gold. Times have changed in America--overnight. If BR is going to be the success they want it to be, they need to make 'em cheaper. And put out more titles so that we actually have something to BUY. I'm not buying Mary Poppins on BR...because it doesn't EXIST on BR. So stupid...

#14 of 70 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,466 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 04 2009 - 05:57 AM

More people will get into BluRay if they equalize it. Let's take note of the practice by Warner and Paramount by matching the prices or even making them cheaper! Look on Amazon and see how it's a few dollars cheaper to buy Warner's Kubrick films on BluRay than the 2-disc DVDs.

On the other hand, after seeing the excellent Wall-E BluRay, a slightly higher price could be justified a bit. But anything but the ridiculous $28 retail prices on the bare-bones and often mediocre MGM/Fox releases.

#15 of 70 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 04 2009 - 06:23 AM

I think Iger's just angling for a government bailout check. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#16 of 70 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
I think Iger's just angling for a government bailout check. Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

We can all quit. That's gonna be the best line in this thread.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 70 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 07:07 AM

There is no argument from anyone that Disney makes great
Blu-ray product. In fact, some of the best I have seen.

However, should they raise their prices I guarantee you lost sales.

As a practice, I don't buy any BD title that costs more than $30,
and in most cases I don't go above $27.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#18 of 70 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,364 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 08:14 AM

Well, Disney's stock took a big plummet this week and this was just posted on msnbc.com:

"The media company late Tuesday reported a 32% drop in fiscal-first-quarter profit as vacationers stayed home from Disney's theme parks and DVD sales were weak."

Yeah? Ya think? Dvd sales were weak? Maybe...just maybe...it's because there were no new BluRays to buy!

#19 of 70 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 08:49 AM

Disney has some of the best BD releases on the market. That being said, and catalog titles had better have massive, GOOD extras and picture and sound quality that dwarf that of the SD release if they're going to release them with a substantial markup on BD.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#20 of 70 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,837 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 08:56 AM

Maybe what they need to do is take their upgrade rebate program (that they've been trying out on some test cases it seems) to the next step and promote it more publicly for catalog titles. If they make it easier (and common public knowledge) to get the $10 upgrade rebate, then the higher prices for catalog titles would be far more justifiable me thinks.

For new day-and-date releases of certain family-oriented titles, I certainly won't mind paying a little bit more to have the SD DVD version included. But for other titles, I'd rather not have the extra disc instead. And oh, that's not to say I don't want to see prices come down in general, but I'm talking about relatively speaking.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow