Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Like a VCR, but HTDV with a harddrive?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   JasonGabler

JasonGabler

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 07:18 PM

For a long time I've been looking for something that works just like an good ol' VCR, but receives DTV, even HDTV, and doesn't save to VHS but to a harddrive (internal is OK, but external would be great.) You set the channel and the time, and voila! it records.

It seem no one makes something like this. I found things that come close, like various satellite receivers or the Phillips settop which is also a DVD-R, but then uses garbage for an ATSC tuner.

Anyone have any suggestions? Have I missed something or is there a good reason why no one makes this? I'm done overpaying for television, and my home has had a happy renaissance in OTA TV since DTV broadcasts began. I just want a simple recording settop box to feed my simple needs Posted Image

thanks,

Jason

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 09:52 PM

Are you willing to use your computer?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 10:34 PM

This is actually a very common inquiry on forums like this. A few years ago, there were a few products like that, but consumers were unwilling to pay enough for them to make offering them worthwhile to manufacturers, so they have been discontinued. I don't think anything has changed in that regard: The expectation on the part of consumers for how much such a product should cost is still significantly below what is needed to foster a market for such a product. Currently, unless you're willing to use your computer, with a tuner card, then the options available in the market (TiVo HD and Moxi HD DVR) are going to run $700-$800, with lifetime service on each (and for the TiVo, you will need to connect it to the Internet to keep it active).

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 11:10 PM

TivoHD can be had for ~$600 if you get a refurb.

But if OTA only is acceptable, the new Dish DTVPal at ~$250 is the most economical.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 11:33 PM

Yes, sorry -- forgot about the DTVPal DVR for OTA only. And to be complete, the Moxi DVR does not support OTA.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Hank_P

Hank_P

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 04:59 AM

you mean like the magnavox H2160MW9 at wa1-mart
Walmart.com: Magnavox 160GB DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner: DVD & Blu-ray Players
a co-worker picked one up for xmas and loves it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 06:43 AM

DVD-R/HDD products like that Magnavox only record in SD though, not HD like the DTVPal DVR. They are also limited to recording one show at a time rather than two.