What's new

Like a VCR, but HTDV with a harddrive? (1 Viewer)

JasonGabler

Auditioning
For a long time I've been looking for something that works just like an good ol' VCR, but receives DTV, even HDTV, and doesn't save to VHS but to a harddrive (internal is OK, but external would be great.) You set the channel and the time, and voila! it records.

It seem no one makes something like this. I found things that come close, like various satellite receivers or the Phillips settop which is also a DVD-R, but then uses garbage for an ATSC tuner.

Anyone have any suggestions? Have I missed something or is there a good reason why no one makes this? I'm done overpaying for television, and my home has had a happy renaissance in OTA TV since DTV broadcasts began. I just want a simple recording settop box to feed my simple needs
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

thanks,

Jason

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This is actually a very common inquiry on forums like this. A few years ago, there were a few products like that, but consumers were unwilling to pay enough for them to make offering them worthwhile to manufacturers, so they have been discontinued. I don't think anything has changed in that regard: The expectation on the part of consumers for how much such a product should cost is still significantly below what is needed to foster a market for such a product. Currently, unless you're willing to use your computer, with a tuner card, then the options available in the market (TiVo HD and Moxi HD DVR) are going to run $700-$800, with lifetime service on each (and for the TiVo, you will need to connect it to the Internet to keep it active).

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yes, sorry -- forgot about the DTVPal DVR for OTA only. And to be complete, the Moxi DVR does not support OTA.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
DVD-R/HDD products like that Magnavox only record in SD though, not HD like the DTVPal DVR. They are also limited to recording one show at a time rather than two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks