• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Lionsfan1960

Lionsfan1960

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 06:35 AM

Hello Everybody,

I have a Dedicated Theater room in a newly built home that has no projector. The "C-net Editor's Choice" Samsung that was originally in the spot was defective and though it was sent back the day after Thanksgiving last year, a replacement has yet to be sent to my theater designer.

So...what projector do you recommend for a 22 foot room with a 150" screen? I'm looking at $8,000 or less, though it will be up there for a long time so if there's a great value for a little more, I'd consider it.

Signed,
Unused theater room owner in Michigan (Mike)

#2 of 6 hodedofome

hodedofome

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 10:20 AM

I'm surprised you chose the Samsung for a 150" screen. I didn't think it was bright enough for that large of a screen. A fantastic projector for sure, I just didn't know it could go that big and still be bright enough in it's best mode. You'll want something with a bunch of lumens in it's 'best' mode (the brightest mode usually sacrifices color accuracy) and under $10k it narrows it down pretty good. In InFocus IN83 is the one that comes to mind, the JVC RS2 might do it but I don't think it's as bright as the InFocus. The Planar PD8150 might do it. Not sure the Sony VPL-VW70 is bright enough.

#3 of 6 SherardP

SherardP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 10:41 AM

With that budget you should skip the RS2 and look at the newer JVC RS10 and RS20. Not sure what gain screen you have but I have reports from owners with 159" screens reporting back succcessful results. Worth a look

#4 of 6 hodedofome

hodedofome

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherardP
With that budget you should skip the RS2 and look at the newer JVC RS10 and RS20. Not sure what gain screen you have but I have reports from owners with 159" screens reporting back succcessful results. Worth a look

Is the RS10/20 even out yet? That's the only reason why I didn't recommend them was because he said he's been waiting and he's tired of waiting...

#5 of 6 SherardP

SherardP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodedofome
Is the RS10/20 even out yet? That's the only reason why I didn't recommend them was because he said he's been waiting and he's tired of waiting...

Yes both models of the new JVC projectors are available for sale now.

#6 of 6 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,305 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 20 2009 - 12:23 AM

wow...150 " ??

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic