-

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Recievers?***

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   funkdoktor

funkdoktor

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 11:04 PM

Decently priced. seems to have ok features. why is it not more popular within the home theater community?

im still a newbie so school me if need be.

thanks and aloha.Posted Image

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoktor
Decently priced. seems to have ok features. why is it not more popular within the home theater community?

im still a newbie so school me if need be.

thanks and aloha.Posted Image

Seriously overrated specs and aside from the ES line, not really much quality for the dollar compared to say . . . Onkyo.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   funkdoktor

funkdoktor

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie
Seriously overrated specs and aside from the ES line, not really much quality for the dollar compared to say . . . Onkyo.

haha much like their car audio products.

thanks for your input Jeff.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted December 31 2008 - 02:12 PM

I've wondered why the Sony receivers don't get more love, as well. I always hear, as Jeff said, that unless it's an ES, don't bother, yet the higher strdg models seem to be very similar to the lower end ES models--on paper, anyways.

I don't have much experience with them, but I was thinking about getting the 920 for my kids. They have a Sony LCD & blu-ray, and I thought it would be convenient for them to have a Sony receiver so they could use the bravia theater sync. Also, I like the video processing in the Sony flat panels, so I would think that expertise would carry over to the video processing in their receivers too.

Hopefully, you'll get some feedback from some folks who do have some experience with them, because they do seem to have some nice features for the money.
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   pocketbikegeek

pocketbikegeek

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 01 2009 - 06:53 PM

for the money is good now spec are over rated
100w is about 50w
and the bass is kind of week even when turned up
highs and mid are good pair it up with jbl spk
or boston acoustic will sound good just do not buy sony spk
you will be disapointed

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Bluzman

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
...and at this time of year, an Onkyo can help reduce your heating costs. Ok, ok, calm down all Onkyo fan boys. Posted Image BTW most, if not all, manufacturers overrate their specs.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman
...and at this time of year, an Onkyo can help reduce your heating costs. Ok, ok, calm down all Onkyo fan boys. Posted Image BTW most, if not all, manufacturers overrate their specs.

I am in no way an Onkyo fanboy. I've owned a Marantz, a Denon (still the best I've ever owned), a Kenwood and I presently own an Onkyo. I've also listened to more than a few non-ES Sony's and found them to live up to their underpowered reputations. So you can save the pee pee contest for someone who cares about that bullshit. Matter of fact, you can start by looking over in the gaming forums for the other 14 year olds. Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted January 05 2009 - 01:38 PM

Owned a Sony DB series receiver awhile back and was perfectly happy with its performance.

Not as nice as the Pioneer Elite which took its place, but a fine, loaded receiver nonetheless. For non critical home theater duty you cannot go wrong with Sony.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Bluzman

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
I am in no way an Onkyo fanboy. I've owned a Marantz, a Denon (still the best I've ever owned), a Kenwood and I presently own an Onkyo. I've also listened to more than a few non-ES Sony's and found them to live up to their underpowered reputations. So you can save the pee pee contest for someone who cares about that bullshit. Matter of fact, you can start by looking over in the gaming forums for the other 14 year olds. Posted Image
Can you say "overly sensitive"? Apparently the inclusion of a Posted Image to mean "just kidding" isn't specific enough for some and warrants a personal attack. Grow up, pal Posted Image.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman
Can you say "overly sensitive"? Apparently the inclusion of a Posted Image to mean "just kidding" isn't specific enough for some and warrants a personal attack. Grow up, pal Posted Image.

I answered the poster's question. Exactly what did you add to the thread besides a wiseass comment?

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Bluzman

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
I answered the poster's question. Exactly what did you add to the thread besides a wiseass comment?
Apparently not only are you overly sensitive but also lacking any semblance of a sense of humor. I'm through now...but please feel free to take a parting shot with another of your stunning ripostes. Posted Image

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow