What's new

Sony Recievers?*** (1 Viewer)

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
Decently priced. seems to have ok features. why is it not more popular within the home theater community?

im still a newbie so school me if need be.

thanks and aloha.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Seriously overrated specs and aside from the ES line, not really much quality for the dollar compared to say . . . Onkyo.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've wondered why the Sony receivers don't get more love, as well. I always hear, as Jeff said, that unless it's an ES, don't bother, yet the higher strdg models seem to be very similar to the lower end ES models--on paper, anyways.

I don't have much experience with them, but I was thinking about getting the 920 for my kids. They have a Sony LCD & blu-ray, and I thought it would be convenient for them to have a Sony receiver so they could use the bravia theater sync. Also, I like the video processing in the Sony flat panels, so I would think that expertise would carry over to the video processing in their receivers too.

Hopefully, you'll get some feedback from some folks who do have some experience with them, because they do seem to have some nice features for the money.

pocketbikegeek

Auditioning
Real Name
ed
for the money is good now spec are over rated
100w is about 50w
and the bass is kind of week even when turned up
highs and mid are good pair it up with jbl spk
or boston acoustic will sound good just do not buy sony spk
you will be disapointed

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
...and at this time of year, an Onkyo can help reduce your heating costs. Ok, ok, calm down all Onkyo fan boys. :D BTW most, if not all, manufacturers overrate their specs.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I am in no way an Onkyo fanboy. I've owned a Marantz, a Denon (still the best I've ever owned), a Kenwood and I presently own an Onkyo. I've also listened to more than a few non-ES Sony's and found them to live up to their underpowered reputations. So you can save the pee pee contest for someone who cares about that bullshit. Matter of fact, you can start by looking over in the gaming forums for the other 14 year olds. :crazy:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Owned a Sony DB series receiver awhile back and was perfectly happy with its performance.

Not as nice as the Pioneer Elite which took its place, but a fine, loaded receiver nonetheless. For non critical home theater duty you cannot go wrong with Sony.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Can you say "overly sensitive"? Apparently the inclusion of a :D to mean "just kidding" isn't specific enough for some and warrants a personal attack. Grow up, pal :laugh:.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I answered the poster's question. Exactly what did you add to the thread besides a wiseass comment?

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Apparently not only are you overly sensitive but also lacking any semblance of a sense of humor. I'm through now...but please feel free to take a parting shot with another of your stunning ripostes. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks