What's new

Which Blu-Ray player brands send firmware updates via disc automatically? (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I know that many of the Blu-Ray player makers will send you a firmware update disc if you request one, but I also heard that some will allow you to sign up to receive them automatically thru the mail when they become available.

Which companies, if any, still do this?

I'm factoring this (among many other things) into my decision about which brand of Blu-Ray player to buy. I'm not the type that will check for updates and burn them to disc, so a disc showing up in the mail from time to time would be ideal for me.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
They ALL should since this is clearly the way it will be from now on but sadly this is not the case. Toshiba was very good about sending them out for their HD DVD players, even without requesting one. I have a Panasonic BD30 player but Panasonic won't even send out email notices that a new update is even available.

They quite honestly suck royally in this regard. I will say in their defense that they do seem to be issuing quite a few updates this year so at least they are addressing customer issues on the technical end. They just need to REALLY get their act together in letting us know the update is out there and maybe even send out discs on request, automatically, whatever. The situation at present is very poor.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Most players that are BD-Live ready or capable should be able to detect new firmware either automatically or through menu selection, provided the player is connected to the internet.

Panasonic and Sony seem to be the best about issuing firmware updates in a timely manner, often before a problematic title even hits the streets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks