-

Photo
- - - - -

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery finally in OAR!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 03:13 PM

while the rest of the world enjoyed the first austin powers movie on dvd in oar, the u.s. and canada only got a open matted version of the film. the blu-ray however features the film in it's oar glory Posted Image

this is a good move from new line and i've no doubt many people will happy about this.

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,686 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 04:19 PM

Do you mean the fact that the DVD was 2:1 instead of 2.35:1 when you say "open matte"? So that means the new BD is 2.35 throughout?

That's good news...assuming of course it doesn't hide any of Liz Hurley's goodness in the process Posted Image

And before I get hung as an anti-OAR hater, let me just say that sometimes open matte isn't the worst thing ever. If you're a Julie Delpy fan, the open matte 4:3 presentation of An American Werewolf in Paris (VHS) offers a lot more viewing enjoyment of Ms. Delpy than the letterbox version on DVD. Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
Do you mean the fact that the DVD was 2:1 instead of 2.35:1 when you say "open matte"? So that means the new BD is 2.35 throughout?

correct Posted Image

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 07:35 PM

2:1 instead of 2.35:1 is pretty minor, but... I'll have to see screenshots to see which is better. If nothing important has been cropped off, I may get it, but, I don't like the idea that the "theater" is somehow the definitive statement about a film's aspect ratio. If it looked better at 2:1, it should have stayed 2:1. I know that is blasphemy here, but, maybe it is just easier for theaters to project at 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 than to accommodate a request for some odd ratio like 2:1. Maybe the DVD was the first time the director got to really show the film the way he wanted it.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted November 26 2008 - 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
2:1 instead of 2.35:1 is pretty minor, but... I'll have to see screenshots to see which is better. If nothing important has been cropped off, I may get it, but, I don't like the idea that the "theater" is somehow the definitive statement about a film's aspect ratio. If it looked better at 2:1, it should have stayed 2:1. I know that is blasphemy here, but, maybe it is just easier for theaters to project at 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 than to accommodate a request for some odd ratio like 2:1. Maybe the DVD was the first time the director got to really show the film the way he wanted it.

I suppose that could be true in this instance -- I don't know myself. I certainly didn't find the open matte(?) 2:1 view to be too loose (above and below).

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 03:51 AM

I believe this movie was filmed in "Super 35" ...
So all kind of varying ARs could be carved out of the film. The 2.00:1 AR on the DVD release *is* a valid presentation of the movie since the director stated on the commentary track that that's what he had requested. He thought that particular aspect ratio complemented the available DVD resolution.

With the extra resolution that BD affords, it's also logical that the same director would now want the theatrical AR presentation available.

So I don't really see any controversy at all with either release.
Joseph
---------------

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 09:58 AM

Any idea if the Christian Slater and Death of A Henchman bits are in this version? We had them in the UK cut, but they were missing from the R1 DVD - never could figure out why?

The UK lost the line about Prince Charles due to over sensitivity after the death of Diana just before the film came out in the UK.

I truly love this film - it was seeing that it was coming out on DVD in Ovtober 97 that made me import my first player from the USA.

We seem to be having the vastly inferior sequels coming out in the UK but not the original - hence I'm importing the US set.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 27 2008 - 01:11 PM

I'm very happy to be getting htis set from amaozon for about $44.
The 2nd and 3rd were just as funny to me as the first.
the sequels weren't inferior for me.

Only thing i didn't lke in the sequels was the casting of Beyonce'.

she doesn't do it for me as a singer and even moreso as an actress.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted November 27 2008 - 03:03 PM

But wasn't the transfer for the U.S. DVD app'd by Vittorio Storaro since Peter Deming was unavailable?

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
If nothing important has been cropped off, I may get it, but, I don't like the idea that the "theater" is somehow the definitive statement about a film's aspect ratio.

Then you must like what Warner's television division has been submitting for broadcast to HD cable channels: Treasure of The Sierra Madre and The Wizard Of Oz have been shown on TreasureHD in HD cropped to fit 1.78:1 by removing top and bottom information. That is a travesty!
I don't like SPAM!

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 28 2008 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter
Then you must like what Warner's television division has been submitting for broadcast to HD cable channels: Treasure of The Sierra Madre and The Wizard Of Oz have been shown on TreasureHD in HD cropped to fit 1.78:1 by removing top and bottom information. That is a travesty!
Ugh.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 28 2008 - 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez
But wasn't the transfer for the U.S. DVD app'd by Vittorio Storaro since Peter Deming was unavailable?
Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 28 2008 - 01:25 PM

I was simply saying that the director's intent may have been constrained by the conventions of theatrical projectors. That's far different than endorsing cropping. Plus, yes, Liz Hurley...must see more of! Which reminds me, Bedazzled needs to come to BluRay.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Simon Young

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 01:13 PM

In the 2:1 version there's a CG shot that looks incomplete when you remove the mattes. I think it's when the Big Boy takes off from 60s London. Also the ratio changed to 2.35:1 during a split-screen sequence, so it was never very consistent. For these reasons alone, I favour the 2.35:1 version.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'd really like to get the first two movies, but will have to pass on the third. Unless I can buy the boxset at an amazing price, I'll have to rely on Netflix for now until they release them individually.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   StevenJ

StevenJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 07:52 AM

I had no idea it wasn't oar, that's good news!

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Harvey
Any idea if the Christian Slater and Death of A Henchman bits are in this version? We had them in the UK cut, but they were missing from the R1 DVD - never could figure out why?

The UK lost the line about Prince Charles due to over sensitivity after the death of Diana just before the film came out in the UK.

anyone help with the above please?

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 12:19 PM

If the Prince Charles line is the one where Dr Evil is suggesting evil plots, and he suggests making it look like the prince had had an affair, and then Number One says "that too has already happened," that was present on USA dvd so I expect it will be there on the USA bluray too. But the Slater material is doubtful, imo. That hasn't been seen before.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 09:02 AM

Nice thread, but where are the reviews??? I haven't seen any at all & therefore won't be opening my set until I do. I mean, I can't imagine the BRs looking anything less than spectacular as the DVDs looked pretty dang good (especially the 3rd movie), but you never know with DNR and such thesedays. I checked with all of my favorite review sites and alas, nothing.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 09:25 AM

I recall how amazed I was at how good the third movie looked on SD-DVD. A shame that it was also the worst of the three and I didn't even make it through the whole disc.

Then I thought to myself "no problem, New Line will just release an Infinifilm version of the first movie soon". That never happened. So yeah, the Blu-Ray better be really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
Nice thread, but where are the reviews??? I haven't seen any at all & therefore won't be opening my set until I do. I mean, I can't imagine the BRs looking anything less than spectacular as the DVDs looked pretty dang good (especially the 3rd movie), but you never know with DNR and such thesedays. I checked with all of my favorite review sights and alas, nothing.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow