Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Gregory Peck Collection from Universal in November

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:04 AM

From ClassicFlix:

That's terrific!!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(And the Amazon selling price is bound to be much lower)
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:07 AM

At last -- Mirage! M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,453 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:22 AM

I'm really excited about the not previously released films. Wonder if they'll be available separately?

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,481 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 04:23 AM

I really wish Universal would adopt Warners policy of not putting previously issued product into new box sets with unreleased films. Still, I'm very happy to have Mirage, Arabesque, Newman MD and The World In His Arms finally available.

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 05:06 AM

It's very nice to see some movement from Universal on their classics library with the Gregory Peck collection and hopefully, we'll see similar collections on Kirk Douglas, Paul Newman, and Burt Lancaster. I would hope that they might revisit Deanna Durbin in an historical context with a documentary. She did, after all, "save" the studio during the depression. It would be nice if they tapped into their MCA/Paramount catalog and reactivate their horror, film noir, western, war, comedy genres.
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 05:15 AM

What timing! Yesterday I was going through his filmography and making note of what was and wasn't available on DVD. With the release of this set I believe Mr. Peck will be one of the best represented actors on DVD. 47 of his 57 films will have been released in Region 1. Beloved Infidel and Days of Glory are available in Region 2. Leaving only 8 films not on DVD anywhere! It's also interesting to note he was lead actor in most of his film from the very beginning.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 27 2008 - 08:19 AM

Might bite on this since I only own the LEgacy edition of "TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD". Cant' go wrong with Peck in a movie. Posted Image

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 11:38 AM

Sounds great and it would be an especially nice touch if they could pretty up the ugly Cape Fear artwork, I'd gladly double dip rather than spring for the new titles individually!

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 11:54 AM

Great news!!

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 12:15 PM

I'll buy it just for Arabesque. Now I can take it off the list.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted November 01 2008 - 04:26 AM

I also find much to like about Arabesque but I'm not a fan of boxsets that make you buy stuff you already have (or sell off your prior versions). Looks like Netflix is solving this problem for us. They are breaking up the Peck boxset making Arabesque and Mirage available separately. Both supposedly available on Tuesday (November 4th). I didn't check the other titles.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts

Posted November 01 2008 - 11:19 AM

Just picked it up today. All the films are individual in slim line cases with original artwork! All the special features from the special edition of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD are on a second disc.
Ken

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 02 2008 - 02:06 PM

DVDBeaver on this set, looks really great Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted November 03 2008 - 11:09 AM

Gee, speaking of a great actor, I wish that MGM would clean up/restore ON THE BEACH. That still freaks me when they look via periscope at the empty streets and GG Bridge
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 06:15 AM

Are there any new reviews for this box set (other then the one referred to previously).

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted November 05 2008 - 11:21 AM

I looked for some others without any luck.

My Netflix copy of Arabesque arrived. What lovely eye-candy. Sophia Loren was in her prime, gorgeous and the abundant bright colors in the film look terrific. The film elements must have been in terrific shape as it looks like it was filmed way shorter than 40+ years ago. Gary mentioned that the colors may have been boosted and I don't doubt that ... but with the bright color palette of the film, I'll willing to drink that Kool-aid.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Paul Mavis

Paul Mavis

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 12:54 AM

I've been asked to no longer post my reviews on HFT.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:14 AM

Well, your review of To Kill A Mockingbird was certainly amusing. Posted Image You never once (as far as I could see) reference the book the film is based on and all your perceived problems with the film are, of course, all in the book (you act as if the screenwriter and director were responsible for the story). Had the film been made the way you seem to suggest it be made (the death of Tom Robinson shown) it would not be true to the novel nor would it be To Kill A Mockingbird.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted November 21 2008 - 03:38 AM

Yes and no. The critique should only be around the film, not the book. Plenty of stories have been improved by changes in what was done in the book and plenty of films have been hurt by changes that weren't in the book. It has to go both ways. Thus the only thing that matters is the film. That said I strongly believe that showing the death of Tom would diminish its impact NOT strengthen it. It's what's not shown that sometimes is the most impactful as it leaves the horror to the audience's imagination. I have no idea how the reviewer sees Atticus leaving the courthouse as a "smug" moment. Nor do I have any idea how the reviewer thinks that ANYTHING Atticus could have done would have changed the outcome of the trial. Certainly it should be clear to anyone that watches what's going on and this includes the jury. The point being is they are aware as are we and yet they still cling to Tom being guilty. That's what makes the viewer outraged. It doesn't come with Atticus being outraged or Tom being outraged it comes with us being outraged. And this outcome doesn't come by banging us over the head with Atticus making everyone look like fools or being the best Perry Mason, it comes with the vivid presentation of the characters. At least that's how I see it.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted November 21 2008 - 09:22 AM

I agree with your comments but not about no acknowledgment for the book. The film is an adaptation of a literary classic, and for the reviewer to not even acknowledge its existence and the fact that all his complaints are things that are the same in the book and therefore have nothing to do with the screenplay adaptation and direction (other than being faithful to the source), is, for me, ridiculous, as are his thoughts about the film. But, that's just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users