What's new

Help with film title (ca. 1960-1963). (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Having read a couple of these types of threads on the HTF over the past few months, I can't think of a better place to post such a question.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My details on this are a bit sketchy. I have been trying to track this visual imagery down for over thirty-five years. And it is possible that what I saw was from a television show and not a film. But I think it was a film, which is why I chose this arena in which to pose the question.

Somewhere between 1960 and 1963-ish, I watched a film at night with my parents. I believe the film was in b&w; at the very least, I had to have seen it in b&w because we didn't get a color television until after 1967. This film involved a woman who looked into a mirror a couple of times throughout its course. When she came closer to the mirror, the visual atmosphere accompanying the scene became more and more frightening. And at least once, and maybe twice, when she looked into this mirror, either her face -- or the mirror -- cracked. There may also have been flowers as part of the imagery. (I don't believe the film was The Mirror Cracked, although I cannot rule that out until I see that film again.)

For many years, I believed that this had to be from The Outer Limits. That's because I distinctly recall my father covering my eyes the first time I saw this face or mirror cracking. But I have since seen all 49 episodes from that series, and nothing clicks. If what I saw was from a television show, then it is possible that what I saw was from One Step Beyond.

I'm sorry I don't have any more information on this. But one thing is for certain--the film cannot have been created after 1964 (maybe 1965, although I believe that this is too late) because I remember what home I was in when I saw it, and I know what years I lived in that home.

Any help tracking this down (albeit with some less-than-helpful information) would be greatly appreciated!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ockeghem wrote (post #1):

It has, I believe, been made available in the U.S. on DVD.

If these don't satisfy your criteria, you might try doing a keyword search at imdb.com with the word "mirror
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=kw&q=mirror", but---take it from experience--that can be long and fruitless.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything promising. From your description I'd sure like to see this (again?) myself.

Ed Guetzow

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward Guetzow
Hi!

I recall the Thriller episode suggested and it seems to fit the description.

However are you sure about the date? Another good suspsect is "Fear No Evil" (1969) - one of my favorites. I don't believe it is available on dvd but you might find it on vhs (what I have).

It starred Louis Jordan & Lynda Day George. Check IMBD.

Hope this has helped!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rex,

Your efforts and help are much appreciated. I will definitely check out some of the examples you've provided. Oddly, in the same 'resonance' sort of way, the title The Hungry Glass--I don't know why--has triggered something in my mind to ponder. I hope it's related to my original question. I believe it may be.

Ed,

Thanks for the help as well. I know it's not Fear No Evil. I love that film, and I was at least eleven years of age when that was created. The memory and image I am trying to track down was definitely pre-1966, and I'm almost certain it is pre-1965.

Oh my, what an unbelievable turn of events if this turns out to be the answer I have been looking for--starring one William Shatner [insert fainting emoticon]. I suppose blank checks would have to be mailed to Maine....

BTW, I'm currently reading this link (on The Hungry Glass).

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

I'm now reading Soft Focus (from Way Out). This one has possibilities. I am trying to hunt down some images of this and of The Hungry Glass now. :emoji_thumbsup:

If you get a chance, have a peek here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

The images alone are IMO worth purchasing what looks to be a superb series. I've never seen (that I am aware of) or heard of Way Out before HTF.

And I'm intrigued with the Dark Shadows and The Exorcist connections. If this series of fourteen episodes is available, I am going to be purchasing it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ockeghem wrote (post #4):

You're out of luck, Charlie. This series was the subject of my first thread here at the HTF
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/archive_forum/showthread.php?threadid=29041. Some years before joining the HTF, I had already tried tracking down its rightsholder(s) and finding out the prospects for its release on DVD. All I got was that David Susskind the producer's son, Andrew, held the rights through a company called "Pamandisam". Futility. Never could get a response from him.

In the spring of 2007, I got the phone number of the CBS Homevideo head and called him. He spoke to me quite freely, but had never heard of the series, said he would investigate, and I have yet to hear from him ever again, even though I e-mailed him all of the Library of Congress (LoC) copyright information on the series that indicated that CBS had in fact renewed the copyright on the series in 1989 (I believe). At some point, I intend to write and to speak to him again about this matter, but, for now, I have too many other things going on to pursue it.

P.S.: The Museum of Television and Radio in New York City has about five of the episodes on kinescope or whatever, which David Susskind donated to it long ago. If you're ever in that area, you might be able to arrange a viewing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rex,

Thanks. I woudn't hesitate to purchase filmed kinescopes, if that were possible one day. I did read some on Susskind's involvement. I remember watching his television show many, many years ago. Goodness, this was very nearly around the time that I watched Insight regularly.

I'll check out your thread on the series. And I know we're not supposed to discuss forbidden topics on this Board, but I think I will still pursue obtaining this series somehow, some way. I haven't been this excited about a series with so few episodes since The Prisoner. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I think The Witch's Mirror is a film I asked about on here a couple of years ago and no one had a clue! I remember a dark-haired woman summoning a ghost from her grave and commanding the ghost to lay her hands on a table. When she pulls back, her hands remain and hunt down the man who killed her with a pair of scissors. There was an introduction that showed old woodcarvings and such about witches. I was a kid when I saw this, but I loved it and I never knew the name of it. I saw it on Dr. Shock or Creature Double Feature on channel 10 out of Philly.

Wow, thanks Rex!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rex,

I saw several of those images yesterday, but not that site. Many thanks. It's wonderful work, IMO. :emoji_thumbsup:

From that site:

"I taped down the actor's nose, made a life mask and, sculpted a blank mask face except for a false eye and mouth."

Astonishing.

And for the "False Face" image, I was intrigued to learn this:

"I did similar appliance make-ups on both Alfred Ryder and Martin Brooks, the "bum".

Alfred Ryder must have been used to seeing excellent make-up work for some of the characters on a few of the shows on which he worked. He was, after all, the husband of 'Nancy.' ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks