Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Rockford Files - Season 6 and the series of 90's TV movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 10:32 AM

I've just done a forum search and there are no existing threads for the final sixth season of The Rockford Files and the series of 90's TV movies.

Are there legal problems with the final sixth season, preventing it from being released? It was January (I think) when the fifth season was released on R1. Were there any episodes in season 6 which had a longer running time like "The Man Who Saw The Alligators"?

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 02:27 PM

Someone posted a message a while ago, saying that Stephen Cannell's website responded to a question by saying they had heard the sixth season was due late this year, but nothing more specific.

The sixth season, I believe, had only ten episodes, two of which were two-part shows, making it twelve hours' worth. Unlike "Alligators", the two-hour shows should not present any problem as far as edited versions, so I don't know what the hold-up is, beyond Universal's general slowdown of late.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanCollector
Someone posted a message a while ago, saying that Stephen Cannell's website responded to a question by saying they had heard the sixth season was due late this year, but nothing more specific.

That was me, I'm going to e-mail them again soon to see what's happening

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 04:51 AM

I've also been wondering what the holdup is regarding the release of the final season. Actually, Universal has been quite slow of late regarding their TV releases....besides Rockford, where's Season 2 of The Equalizer for that matter and how about providing more Simon & Simon too?
Recently watched- Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 04:54 AM

could it have something to do with the vault fire?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 05:21 AM

Possibly. I suspect that was where all the Digibeta tapes you would use to make DVD masters were kept.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted August 20 2008 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
I've just done a forum search and there are no existing threads for the final sixth season of The Rockford Files and the series of 90's TV movies.

Are there legal problems with the final sixth season, preventing it from being released? It was January (I think) when the fifth season was released on R1. Were there any episodes in season 6 which had a longer running time like "The Man Who Saw The Alligators"?
Well, there is this thread, updated one month ago, maybe this thread should be merged with that one?
http://www.hometheat....son-where.html

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   jamoon2006

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted August 20 2008 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
could it have something to do with the vault fire?

That would be my fear, since it has been so long with no announcement. But Universal does have the sixth season available on Netflix for instant viewing...is that any indication that the material survived the fire?

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 10:17 AM

A new news article was posted on TVShowsOnDVD recently about Season 6 of The Rockford Files. It will be released on Region 1 in January 2009 (around the same time as Season 2 of Mannix and The Invaders).

Even though I don't think they've used a Season 6 image of James Garner as Jim Rockford on the front cover it is different slightly to previous covers. And I do like that sunset picture with the yacht in the background.

What I think would be a good extra would be a CBS promo for the first TV movie, because they've got to release the CBS TV movies Universal, if they've got this far and are releasing the final sixth season on DVD.

Now I bought the Region 1 boxset of the fifth season because it included the longer version of "The Man Who Saw the Alligators". The Region 2 boxset included the shorter version.

With Season 6 is there anything which might be different to the Region 2 boxset which I assume will come out?

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 04:43 AM

Below is the TVShowsOnDVD link to the new news article posted about Season 6 of The Rockford Files recently:

The Rockford Files DVD news: Announcement for The Rockford Files - Season 6 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted December 14 2008 - 01:33 PM

Also hoping for the TV movies in 2009

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted January 18 2009 - 07:17 AM

Will anyone here be doing a review of the Season 6 (Region 1) set which comes out on Tuesday in the US?

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 12:33 AM

Price is a bit high given this season was about half the normal shows, if they had included the telefilms it would've been fine, as it is I'll wait for a sale or better price.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 07:32 AM

Either way, I'm just happy that the entire series is released. I would've been ticked if they stalled this one, however I've never seen the movies & would love to get them.
Dan T.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
Price is a bit high given this season was about half the normal shows, if they had included the telefilms it would've been fine, as it is I'll wait for a sale or better price.
I don't know, $29.99 AT Best Buy sounds fair to me. This is the same company that sold season one of Night Gallery (6 episodes plus pilot) for $59.99. This was still one of the best seasons of the Rockford Files, so it's a bargain to me. I'm sure the TV movies were probably great, but I'm just not a fan of reunion shows. This will be the last set for me.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 06:16 AM

Where do you guys get double length episodes from? Only one episode was multiple length and it was for four episodes. Running time is 9 hours ... it's half a season, at 12 episodes.

It's 12 standard episodes on this set and way overpriced, even for $30.

Even E,mergency is 22 episodes and it's priced cheaper than rockford at $28

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 06:49 AM

Got mine today. Glad to finally have the entire series.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 04:32 PM

I tried to buy it from Best Buy, but they didn't have it and the sales clerk had never heard of the show. I had to spell the name out to him.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:02 AM

Yes, it's overpriced, but look at it this way:

It could have a new Mark Heyes score!

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted January 21 2009 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson
Yes, it's overpriced, but look at it this way:

It could have a new Mark Heyes score!

Rick,

You said it! After the Fugitive & M3S, it's all good news after that!

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow