What's new

The Rockford Files - Season 6 and the series of 90's TV movies (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
as long as a series didn't go cheap and license music from Capitol's needle drop library, they're not going to rescore a series.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Season six includes two two-part episodes: "Lions, Tigers, Monkeys and Dogs" and "Only Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die."

The total running time for the season is listed as 9 hours, 52 minutes.

It would been nice if they had included an extra, such as the first CBS movie, but I'm just happy to have the entire series.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Me too. My only complaint was that one 90 minute episode that they released a while ago as two 50 min. episodes. It had that awful padded out feel that people who watched butchered and padded syndicated reruns of Night Gallery are very familiar with.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I finished watching the final season late last week and...well...these were not the best episodes. Some of the stories seemed...I don't know...weak. It just felt like Garner's heart just wasn't in it any more. Don't get me wrong. There are a couple of great episodes in this season, but over all it was a bit of a let down and just not the usual panache that I usually associate with Rockford. Heck, even the answering machine messages seemed a bit tired. I can tell that the show was running out of steam. And the episode "Just a Couple of Guys" was just really painful to watch. Just about everything in that episode bugged me.

I'm really, really glad to have the entire series, but in hindsight I looks to me like they pulled the plug at just about the right time. Yes, I know that because of Garner's health the show went on hiatus and then was cancelled but it seems to me that the break came at just the right moment. The show was starting to ease up the ramp to jumping the shark and it didn't quite make it there. As it stands now, the show is just one of those rare gems that was good from beginning to end. A little shakey there at the end, but still good.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Seems that I remember the "Richie Brockelman" character getting introduced somewhere in this series (played by Dennis Dugan). Which season did that character first appear? Did "Richie" stay around for a full season? I'm presently viewing Season 2 and haven't seen Dennis D appear as yet. I haven't seen this show much since the 70's but faint memory's telling me that the Richie story appeared in the middle seasons, 4 or 5.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Richie Brockelman did indeed appear in the 4th and 5th seasons of Rockford. I don't recall the exact title of the episodes, but one of them is a 2 hour episode and that is in the 5th season.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I haven't liked most of the episodes David Chase wrote.
The earlier ones were acceptable but they got worse with later seasons.
They just aren't Rockford to me.
But "Just A Coupla Guys" must be the worst Rockford episode, ever!
I doubt James Garner got more than 10 minutes of screen time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks