What's new

Wuthering Heights (1939) Any updates? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone knows anything about Wuthering Heights (1939)? I have still to see this movie and have waited ten years to buy it. Missed out when originially released back in 1997 on DVD and it has been discontinued since.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
You know it's available in the UK (R2/PAL) and on sale for the equivalent of about $11. They remove VAT for US buyers and you can use your Amazon account info
It's better than waiting for MGM US to get their act together (and the disc itself looks great!).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have the most recent TCM airing on my DVR and intend to burn my own DVD-R of it from that.
I did that with The Count of Monte Cristo (1934) and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently, since no good Region 1 DVDs of those seem to be imminent. I had the original HBO DVD of Mitty but sold it for big bucks after it went OOP. I figured it would be re-released in short order but it's been many years waiting. The TCM recordings look fine in the meantime (I capture the DVR recording digitally via firewire to a .ts file and burn on my iMac from that), as long as you don't mind the periodic TCM.com logo, which isn't too bad.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This and THE HURRICANE (John Ford, 1937) were released on Samuel Goldwyn DVD's a long time back, and have not been released since. Each had an isolated score and trailer. I long to see full restorations of these, with commentaries and, hopefully again, the original extras.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Anyone looking for updates can start breathing again, for Wuthering Heights and The Hurricane are part of the MGM library and are locked up tight with all the other great films that deserve a good release. I think it is more likely for the Mayan Calendar to be correct and the world will end in 2012 than see MGM release these titles before then.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 1939 Wuthering Heights is a title which crosses my mind quite often.

Like the OP, I've never seen it...and would like to someday.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc

Originally Posted by Mike*HTF
You know it's available in the UK (R2/PAL) and on sale for the equivalent of about $11. They remove VAT for US buyers and you can use your Amazon account info
It's better than waiting for MGM US to get their act together (and the disc itself looks great!).
thanx for the head's up.... i went ahead & bought this on your recommendation... and the transfer is pretty good!

i also think that it's time for me to look at other region dvds for certain catalog titles instead of waiting and WAITING for for them to be released as a region 1 dvd.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Value Added Tax - the method of taxation in the European Community (I think).

Originally Posted by battlebeast
Pardon my ignorance, but I just bought the DVD before I saw this thread, and what is "VAT"?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by battlebeast
Thanks! So, this disc is still region two... without a Region free DVD palyer... I'm out of luck, right?
Well, even if it were region 0 you'd probably still be out of luck since it would most likely be in the PAL format rather than NTSC. Besides a region free player it also really should be PAL compatible.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Originally Posted by marcco00
thanx for the head's up.... i went ahead & bought this on your recommendation... and the transfer is pretty good!
i also think that it's time for me to look at other region dvds for certain catalog titles instead of waiting and WAITING for for them to be released as a region 1 dvd.
You're welcome - the disc is even cheaper now than when I posted that link 2 years ago.
Really a win-win situation, this.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A pressed DVD of the '39 Wuthering Heights was found to be available a few weeks ago at select Costco stores!

I immediately got an HTF buddy of mine with a Costco membership to pick one up for me.

Oh. And they are priced at $7.99!

I am actually set to watch my copy tonight.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I bought a copy of the Warner Brothers' release of Wuthering Heights and had a chance to watch it on Thursday night. Honestly, I've never seen this film look better! It will probably look even better on Blu-Ray, but WB did an excellent job with this one. Hope that it receives a wider release soon so that countless people can re-experience this gem.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TCM will air this June 3rd at noon.

The guide has it listed as HD.

So Just a heads up for those that care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks