Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dave's World S1 DVD Review -- Uh Oh CBS DVD....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 05:56 PM

See what I mean:

Sitcoms Online - Dave's World - The First Season DVD Review

#2 of 7 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 08:35 AM

What's your point?

#3 of 7 Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F_S
What's your point?

I believe his point was to call attention to the following, deep into the review, which is another horror story about CBS (a la The Fugitive), where music replacement has seemed to become the norm:

" The show's opening theme song was a version of Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" sung by Southside Johnny, but on this DVD we get some instrumental music that sounds very cartoonish (so it does fit the artwork in the credits I guess), but no original theme. Ugh a theme song replacement!"

#4 of 7 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F_S
What's your point?
To draw traffic to his site by only linking to the review and not putting the pertinent information in his post.

#5 of 7 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 10:30 AM

I can't blame the folks at CBS for yanking the tune. They have to pay for the use of the song 23 times. That adds up. While it's sad to see it zapped, that's just what happens cause Billy Joel's publisher won't cut a deal - see Bosom Buddies.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#6 of 7 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 03:11 AM

It's not only the theme song replacement, the pilot episode's opening scene is CLEARLY edited and you can tell easily.

#7 of 7 Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 03:35 PM

While this sucks, this hurts the singer more than the show. Yeah, the show will suffer for it, but the singer hurts both ways: if their music isn't used, then they get no money. Then people are forced to go to other routes to get the show and the singer still gets no money.

It's a damn shame, but the only thing that will come out of it is a lot of singers not getting royalties for shows at all. If that's the game they want to play, on their own head be it.

Forum Nav Content I Follow