-

Photo
- - - - -

Will Woody Allen's movies ever make HD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 06:45 AM

I know I would probably pick up 90 % of them if they made HD, however I read somewhere that the transfers of them aren't in good condition and he has no interest in revisiting / remastering them, which is why the DVD transfers were fairly uneven. Do you think they will ever be brought out?

#2 of 49 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 01:27 PM

Good question. I would be interested in quite a few of them. Even among "older" titles, they certainly don't fit into the studios widely perceived "demographic" of hi-def customers.

Woody doesn't come across as the kind of guy who would have the least interest in such matters. How long was it before his first picture with plain old stereo sound? Not that it matters one wit to me, but it sheds some light on what he's about, so far as technological advances.

Perhaps Criterion will come to our rescue.

#3 of 49 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 464 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted July 07 2008 - 01:48 PM

To this day Woody Allen has never made a film with a stereo soundtrack. Even the newer titles which come with digital soundtracks are mono.

Considering he was among the first directors to insist that one of his films be released on home video in it's proper aspect ratio ( Manhattan ) I would say it's unlikely he has no interest in revisiting the transfer of his films.

At any rate, my high-def classics channel has run very nice high-definition transfers of titles like 'Radio Days' , 'Annie Hall' and 'Crimes and Misdemeanors' over the past 19 months so there are masters of these titles in existence.

#4 of 49 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 02:18 PM

I love Woody Allen's films, particularly the early FUNNY ones! Posted Image

I think Zelig with all of its faked ageing of film stock would be particularly interesting in HD, as long as some one didn't decide to remove the intended grain or clean up the scratches!

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#5 of 49 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 02:36 PM

Count me in for an HD release of Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Annie Hall.

Unfortunately I suspect it'll take 2 or more years before we see any of these titles come to BD.

#6 of 49 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 07 2008 - 02:41 PM

I can see Match Point being the first catalog title from Allen's filmography to come out, seeing as how it's a recent title which likely has an HD master ready to go via DreamWorks, as well as it being his most well regarded work of the last 10 years.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 49 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I can see Match Point being the first catalog title from Allen's filmography to come out, seeing as how it's a recent title which likely has an HD master ready to go via DreamWorks, as well as it being his most well regarded work of the last 10 years.

That's exactly what Ii thought when I saw this thread. I think we're about to enter a period where they release the easy....read: cheap, to release titles and Match Point fits the M.O. Yeah, I wanna get Bananas, Sleeper, Love And Death, Everything about..... , Annie Hall, and about 10 more Tiger Lily, que pasa, por favor.

Manhattan has been on HD Net Movies. I watched it just a few months ago....'an if I'm not mistaken I either have or will soon get Love And Death on one of my HD Tivos. HD Net can be a hopeful sign...? ....sort'a....
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#8 of 49 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 04:35 PM

"....my brain...it's my second favorite organ...."

"....but I ate Kozmic Rice...."
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 49 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 07 2008 - 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob W
To this day Woody Allen has never made a film with a stereo soundtrack. Even the newer titles which come with digital soundtracks are mono.

I've got news for you Rob. You need to check out the just released DVD of "Cassandra's Dream." Yes it is indeed Woody Allen's first-ever stereo soundtrack (3.0 to be exact, dialog in the center, and music and effects mixed in stereo across all three channels.) My guess is that he lost the battle with the studio on this one and they compromised with 3.0 channels instead of 5.1

And by the way, Douglas, in MY opionion the early ones are not the funny ones, the later ones with their wonderful neurotic intellectualism are the funny ones.

#10 of 49 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,174 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 07 2008 - 10:15 PM

Woody Allen's films would be perfect for MGM's Blu-Ray pricing scheme. No extras and $35.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#11 of 49 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 07 2008 - 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-P

And by the way, Douglas, in MY opionion the early ones are not the funny ones, the later ones with their wonderful neurotic intellectualism are the funny ones.

I was paraphrasing, from Stardust Memories.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#12 of 49 Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 02:18 AM

We still don't have anamorphic Annie Hall on regular DVD yet, right?

His only Best Picture winnner... shame.

#13 of 49 BennyBlu

BennyBlu

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 08:22 AM

I'm sure in a few years, even Ed Wood's movies will be available on Blu-ray.

#14 of 49 dannyboy104

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 08:30 AM

UK Disc is anamorphic
DVD Times - Annie Hall

#15 of 49 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 464 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted July 08 2008 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-P
I've got news for you Rob. You need to check out the just released DVD of "Cassandra's Dream." Yes it is indeed Woody Allen's first-ever stereo soundtrack (3.0 to be exact, dialog in the center, and music and effects mixed in stereo across all three channels.)

I should have guessed I would look like a dope when I posted! It's one of the very few Woodys I haven't caught up with. After 'Scoop', i may never go near a Woody Allen film again after following his entire career since I saw 'Bananas' first-run as a kid.

#16 of 49 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 08 2008 - 04:04 PM

Ah, c'mon, Scoop wasn't that bad. I doubt I'd ever revisit it, but it was no worse than mediocre in my book.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 49 Jrf2

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted July 08 2008 - 04:37 PM

I figure Annie Hall + Match Point will be his first titles to hit BD, though I'd prefer to get Purple Rose of Cairo or Crimes and Misdemeanors first. It is a damn shame that Annie Hall still doesn't have a 16x9 transfer in R1.

#18 of 49 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 08 2008 - 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Ah, c'mon, Scoop wasn't that bad. I doubt I'd ever revisit it, but it was no worse than mediocre in my book.

I liked Scoop too, but I'll admit from Annie Hall on, I have not been dissappointed with a single Woody Allen picture. I'm just a little bit obsessed with his work.

#19 of 49 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,483 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 09 2008 - 06:05 AM

I found Scoop to be surprisingly non-sucky, considering the reviews.

And not just because of Scarlett's red swimsuit. . . Posted Image

Certainly not as good as Match Point, though.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 49 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 11:05 AM

Let's not forget his Miramax titles (which are all non-anamorphic on DVD) like Mighty Aphrodite, Bullets Over Broadway, and (one of my favorites) Everyone Says I Love You.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow