-

Photo
- - - - -

Holocaust miniseries DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,162 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 05 2008 - 11:37 AM

This was supposed to have come out in May. Has anyone been able to find it? I have found no reviews or comments on the presentation quality.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#2 of 8 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 05 2008 - 12:18 PM

Picked this up last week and it appears no work was done on the transfer at all. Also at the beginning of each act (after commercial break), the screen stays blank while the audio plays and after 15 seconds or so the picture fills in. I do not know if this was the original plan for broadcast or not.

It is nice to have the show available, but it is not as clear as some other Paramount discs (eg. Hawaii 5-0, Wild Wild West, etc.)

Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#3 of 8 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,162 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 05 2008 - 06:58 PM

Could the visual breaks have been NBC's IDs?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 8 FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted June 06 2008 - 12:42 PM

I picked it up for cheap at Best Buy, and the transfer is better than the current VHS tape which I have, but not on the order of transfer of something like the Untouchables or The Fugitive.

#5 of 8 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,162 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 12 2008 - 02:53 PM

Better than VHS, maybe. But far from great. I have watched the first two parts, and it looks like what I imagine watching it on NBC in 1978 would have looked like. This seems to be an early 1980s transfer; it doesn't even have 3:2 pulldown!

This is an independent production that Paramount only has the DVD rights to because they inherited Worldvision library. They may not have had access to the negatives or any film master, since they're usually pretty good about remastering.

There was a region 2 version out for years; can anyone who has it tell me if that is any better?

#6 of 8 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 12 2008 - 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Better than VHS, maybe. But far from great. I have watched the first two parts, and it looks like what I imagine watching it on NBC in 1978 would have looked like. This seems to be an early 1980s transfer; it doesn't even have 3:2 pulldown!

This is an independent production that Paramount only has the DVD rights to because they inherited Worldvision library. They may not have had access to the negatives or any film master, since they're usually pretty good about remastering.

There was a region 2 version out for years; can anyone who has it tell me if that is any better?

Matthew,

Thanks for the info on the R1 release. Since this one's on my "big-time" list, I'm going ahead and getting it at the current DD sale.

I did buy the R2 set a couple of years ago and, without having seen the new R1 release, going by your (very good) description of the R1, I'd say that it's about the same quality.

It's a shame that this miniseries hasn't been remastered by now.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 8 FrosteyV

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted June 13 2008 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA

I have the region 2 release, and believe it or not, I think the new release is better.

#8 of 8 DanFe

DanFe

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted July 09 2008 - 06:12 AM

Is the region 2 release cut?

Forum Nav Content I Follow