-

Photo
- - - - -

Californication worth a blind buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 07:03 AM

Title says it all. We didn't have Showtime until after the first season was over, but the show looked like something I might like. Thoughts?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Jonathan-P

Jonathan-P

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 07:22 AM

My gf watched it when it aired and was liked it. I don't know that I'd recommend a "buy" though.

Seems like something that you might watch once and enjoy, but never watch again.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 07:31 AM

Worth a rental. But then again I don't buy TV on DVD so I'm probably of no help.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 09:28 AM

I believe it's been renewed, which means Showtime will probably rerun the first season before airing the second. I'd wait and watch it then. I liked the series, but I don't plan to buy it.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 06 2008 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer
Title says it all. We didn't have Showtime until after the first season was over, but the show looked like something I might like. Thoughts?

Disappointing, to say the least. I like David Duchovny. I like shows about writers (especially if well written). I like female nudity. I like California. I like Porsches. I didn't like this show.

You can have a show about a basically unlikeable character or characters and, if it's funny enough, get away with it (Curb Your Enthusiam, anyone?), but this show wasn't half clever or funny enough to pull it off.

And if I want to see some hard pathos about a writer self-destructing and drinking himself to death, I can always watch Leaving Las Vegas again (but not without an anti-depressant).

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Disappointing, to say the least. I like David Duchovny. I like shows about writers (especially if well written). I like female nudity. I like California. I like Porsches. I didn't like this show.

You can have a show about a basically unlikeable character or characters and, if it's funny enough, get away with it (Curb Your Enthusiam, anyone?), but this show wasn't half clever or funny enough to pull it off.

And if I want to see some hard pathos about a writer self-destructing and drinking himself to death, I can always watch Leaving Las Vegas again (but not without an anti-depressant).
That was my initial reaction, too. Did you stay with it? My guess from your description is no. Because it goes in unexpected directions and turns out not to be about that at all (and the characters get a lot more complicated, especially Duchovny's).

M.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 06 2008 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
That was my initial reaction, too. Did you stay with it? My guess from your description is no. Because it goes in unexpected directions and turns out not to be about that at all (and the characters get a lot more complicated, especially Duchovny's).

M.

Yeah, I stayed with it to the unexpectantly unbitter end, which looks like it was tagged on in case the show wasn't renewed.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 04:10 PM

If you like filthy language and lots of sex, then you might like it. It was a real turn-off for me. The writing just couldn't make up for the situations and characters.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Yeah, I stayed with it to the unexpectantly unbitter end, which looks like it was tagged on in case the show wasn't renewed.
Interesting. For me the end was a logical progression once I realized, about three or four episodes in, that the overall story was about Hank picking himself up (admittedly in a pretty twisted way).

Maybe I would have liked it less if I weren't such a fan of some of the supporting case, like Madeleine Martin, who played Becca, and who was already performing on Broadway as a child, or Rachel Miner, whose Dani started off creepy and ended up hilarious. And I'll watch Evan Handler in just about anything.

I am curious, though, at what they have planned for a second season. If they try to cover the same ground again, it's going to get old very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena S
If you like filthy language and lots of sex, then you might like it.
You could say the same thing about Sex and the City.

M.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted May 06 2008 - 10:53 PM

I agree with Michael on all points, although I can see the point about the ending being "tacked on" in case the network pulled the plug on a second season.

Hank became much more likeable as the season progressed, and there are snippets of dialogue which will be with me forever (one of my favorites being his referral to cream cheese as "The People's Cheese," and of course, the infamous "Holy F**knuts!").

As for replay value, I burned my own DVDs from my DVR and just watched the entire season again two weeks ago, and I think I loved it even more the second time around. I will definitely be picking this up in June.

I also love that when Pamela Adlon's character Marcy (Runkel's diminutive but sexy wife) gets drunk, she slips into the voice she uses as "Bobby" on "King of the Hill."

Oh, yeah, Jeff, as a fellow metalhead you should know that the show's creator is one hell of a metal fan. Hank's novels are all named after Slayer albums, and his daughter once got sent home from school for wearing a Cradle of Filth t-shirt...

Is it just me or are there times where Natasha McElhone looks absolutely breathtaking? Those eyes are incredible...
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
You could say the same thing about Sex and the City.M.
I hated that show. Although I'd venture to say that the writing on it was probably better.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 06:06 AM

I was looking forward to this quite abit. But i have to agree it was a terrible program. I even stuck through the whole thing hoping it would improve because of Duchovny. But i will not watch it going forward. Rent it first.. if you like it then purchase it. Better safe than sorry.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 07 2008 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux
Rent it first.. if you like it then purchase it. Better safe than sorry.
That's always my advice about blind buys too. For example, I love Star Wars and it's one of the most popular movies ever made but if someone had never seen it before, I'd still recommend that they rent it before buying it.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You could say the same thing about Sex and the City
I hated that show.
I guessed as much. My point was simply that your description ("filthy language and lots of sex") was sufficiently generic to apply to a show that was very different (IMO) and hugely popular.

M.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:23 AM

the first half of the season seemed to bring David back to his Red Shoes Diaries heritage.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Dustin James

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 01:49 PM

If your cable provider offers Video-On-Demand (I have Comcast Digital), the entire first season is currently available on Showtime On Demand.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 03:41 PM

Quote:
I guessed as much. My point was simply that your description ("filthy language and lots of sex") was sufficiently generic to apply to a show that was very different (IMO) and hugely popular.

M.
Read the rest of my post. The writing has a lot to do with making language and gratuitous sex palatable.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
Read the rest of my post. The writing has a lot to do with making language and gratuitous sex palatable.
I did read the rest of your post. "Ventur[ing]" to say that the writing on SatC was "probably" better is hardly praise. (Neither is "palatable", for that matter.) And I'm not sure what difference it makes, since you disliked both shows.

M.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:50 PM

It's interesting to see how this show has "polarized" folks. It seems people either love it or hate it, with little middle ground.
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 02:07 AM

I guess I'm in the middle ground.

I liked the show, never missed an episode. But, I don't think I would recommend blind buying it. I don't think, at least for me, it would hold up to repeated viewings.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow