What's new

Californication worth a blind buy? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Title says it all. We didn't have Showtime until after the first season was over, but the show looked like something I might like. Thoughts?

Jonathan-P

Auditioning
My gf watched it when it aired and was liked it. I don't know that I'd recommend a "buy" though.

Seems like something that you might watch once and enjoy, but never watch again.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Worth a rental. But then again I don't buy TV on DVD so I'm probably of no help.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe it's been renewed, which means Showtime will probably rerun the first season before airing the second. I'd wait and watch it then. I liked the series, but I don't plan to buy it.

M.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Disappointing, to say the least. I like David Duchovny. I like shows about writers (especially if well written). I like female nudity. I like California. I like Porsches. I didn't like this show.

You can have a show about a basically unlikeable character or characters and, if it's funny enough, get away with it (Curb Your Enthusiam, anyone?), but this show wasn't half clever or funny enough to pull it off.

And if I want to see some hard pathos about a writer self-destructing and drinking himself to death, I can always watch Leaving Las Vegas again (but not without an anti-depressant).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That was my initial reaction, too. Did you stay with it? My guess from your description is no. Because it goes in unexpected directions and turns out not to be about that at all (and the characters get a lot more complicated, especially Duchovny's).

M.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
If you like filthy language and lots of sex, then you might like it. It was a real turn-off for me. The writing just couldn't make up for the situations and characters.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I agree with Michael on all points, although I can see the point about the ending being "tacked on" in case the network pulled the plug on a second season.

Hank became much more likeable as the season progressed, and there are snippets of dialogue which will be with me forever (one of my favorites being his referral to cream cheese as "The People's Cheese," and of course, the infamous "Holy F**knuts!").

As for replay value, I burned my own DVDs from my DVR and just watched the entire season again two weeks ago, and I think I loved it even more the second time around. I will definitely be picking this up in June.

I also love that when Pamela Adlon's character Marcy (Runkel's diminutive but sexy wife) gets drunk, she slips into the voice she uses as "Bobby" on "King of the Hill."

Oh, yeah, Jeff, as a fellow metalhead you should know that the show's creator is one hell of a metal fan. Hank's novels are all named after Slayer albums, and his daughter once got sent home from school for wearing a Cradle of Filth t-shirt...

Is it just me or are there times where Natasha McElhone looks absolutely breathtaking? Those eyes are incredible...

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I hated that show. Although I'd venture to say that the writing on it was probably better.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I was looking forward to this quite abit. But i have to agree it was a terrible program. I even stuck through the whole thing hoping it would improve because of Duchovny. But i will not watch it going forward. Rent it first.. if you like it then purchase it. Better safe than sorry.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's always my advice about blind buys too. For example, I love Star Wars and it's one of the most popular movies ever made but if someone had never seen it before, I'd still recommend that they rent it before buying it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I guessed as much. My point was simply that your description ("filthy language and lots of sex") was sufficiently generic to apply to a show that was very different (IMO) and hugely popular.

M.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
the first half of the season seemed to bring David back to his Red Shoes Diaries heritage.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
If your cable provider offers Video-On-Demand (I have Comcast Digital), the entire first season is currently available on Showtime On Demand.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Read the rest of my post. The writing has a lot to do with making language and gratuitous sex palatable.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I did read the rest of your post. "Ventur[ing]" to say that the writing on SatC was "probably" better is hardly praise. (Neither is "palatable", for that matter.) And I'm not sure what difference it makes, since you disliked both shows.

M.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
It's interesting to see how this show has "polarized" folks. It seems people either love it or hate it, with little middle ground.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the middle ground.

I liked the show, never missed an episode. But, I don't think I would recommend blind buying it. I don't think, at least for me, it would hold up to repeated viewings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks