What's new

non powered sub woofer to powered sub (1 Viewer)

Real Name
kevin
Hi Guyz !
I have one of those home theatres in a box made by Sony ( 5.1)
The system doesnt use a powered sub but relies on the sony receiver to supply power to the sony sub .
I was wondering if I could use my SVS powered sub instead of the original Sony subwoofer . The bass of the SVS powered sub is so much better but I am afraid of damaging the SVS if I hook it up to the sony 5.1 system . Any help would be appreciated .

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You would need to hook the SVS up via a subwoofer line out connection on the Sony receiver or via high level inputs on the SVS. Not all models of receivers have the sub out and not all models of SVS subs have the high level ins.

Real Name
kevin
Thanks Jeff . You are rite on the money . The SVS 10 does not have high level inputs , just an rca input . The sony receiver doesnt have a sub out conector . I am wondering if there is a product available to couple the two ( jimmy rig ) units without breaking the bank . I plan to use the svs 10 sub in my basement HT , but I am currently rebuilding the basement with home theatre in mind ofcourse .

Real Name
kevin
Thanks for the links guyz !
Saving me a lot of money as well . You bet I can solder ! but not sure if R shack where I live will have the hardware . I will be printing out all the info in the link and taking it to R shack with me . If I show them what I want to build , they should be able to help . The power of this little SVS sub is awesome and I cant see letting it sit in the closet and collecting dust for 6 months while I build the basement .
You guys rock !
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Real Name
kevin
Maybe a stupid question here but how do you test the RCA input on the SVS sub for ground .On the back of the sony sub it has one black and one white wire going into the sub , so I can assume the black wire is ground but I will check it with my digital volt ohm meter before I make any conections .
I need to purchase a single RCA male input for the SVS that is capable of being wired . How do I test for ground on the sub ? I am assuming the outer portion of the female RCA plug on the SVS sub is ground ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks