Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

non powered sub woofer to powered sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hi Guyz !
I have one of those home theatres in a box made by Sony ( 5.1)
The system doesnt use a powered sub but relies on the sony receiver to supply power to the sony sub .
I was wondering if I could use my SVS powered sub instead of the original Sony subwoofer . The bass of the SVS powered sub is so much better but I am afraid of damaging the SVS if I hook it up to the sony 5.1 system . Any help would be appreciated .

#2 of 7 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker
Hi Guyz !
I have one of those home theatres in a box made by Sony ( 5.1)
The system doesnt use a powered sub but relies on the sony receiver to supply power to the sony sub .
I was wondering if I could use my SVS powered sub instead of the original Sony subwoofer . The bass of the SVS powered sub is so much better but I am afraid of damaging the SVS if I hook it up to the sony 5.1 system . Any help would be appreciated .

You would need to hook the SVS up via a subwoofer line out connection on the Sony receiver or via high level inputs on the SVS. Not all models of receivers have the sub out and not all models of SVS subs have the high level ins.

#3 of 7 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Jeff . You are rite on the money . The SVS 10 does not have high level inputs , just an rca input . The sony receiver doesnt have a sub out conector . I am wondering if there is a product available to couple the two ( jimmy rig ) units without breaking the bank . I plan to use the svs 10 sub in my basement HT , but I am currently rebuilding the basement with home theatre in mind ofcourse .

#4 of 7 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 01:10 AM

You would need a speaker level to line level converter. Here's just one of many:http://www.partsexpr....number=302-307

I'm sure you can find them cheaper, but that's a start.

#5 of 7 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 03:57 AM

Ouch! $60 for a box with some connectors and four resistors?

Try Radio shack....

or, if you can solder, take a look here: Speaker signal to line level
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#6 of 7 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the links guyz !
Saving me a lot of money as well . You bet I can solder ! but not sure if R shack where I live will have the hardware . I will be printing out all the info in the link and taking it to R shack with me . If I show them what I want to build , they should be able to help . The power of this little SVS sub is awesome and I cant see letting it sit in the closet and collecting dust for 6 months while I build the basement .
You guys rock ! Posted Image

#7 of 7 ballbreaker

ballbreaker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 09:57 AM

Maybe a stupid question here but how do you test the RCA input on the SVS sub for ground .On the back of the sony sub it has one black and one white wire going into the sub , so I can assume the black wire is ground but I will check it with my digital volt ohm meter before I make any conections .
I need to purchase a single RCA male input for the SVS that is capable of being wired . How do I test for ground on the sub ? I am assuming the outer portion of the female RCA plug on the SVS sub is ground ???