What's new

Adjusting colors on Pioneer PDP-5080? (1 Viewer)

I hate to ask such an elementary question, but here it goes. I just got the Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics disc to set up my Pioneer PDP-5080 and can't figure something out. We need to make adjustments to the Red, Blue and Green levels, but how exactly do I do that? All I can find on my set are Color and Tint settings.

Thanks.

troy evans

Screenwriter
That's exactly the settings you need to use. First thing to do is to put the image in the "movie" mode. Then set the color temp to "warm"(if you have a setting for "warm 1" and "warm 2", use warm 1).You need to go to the test pattern on video essentials called "smpte color bar patterns".From there you will need to take the color filter that came with the disc to adjust the color setting( look through the blue filter first to adjust color).Use the pattern that has the two color bars on top of the white background. When you look through the filter to adjust, you're going to see blue bars crossing over each other. Using the color control go back and forth until all the bars are exactly the same level of color. After that, look through the red filter and that should be correct as well. You may have trouble with green and that's where the tint control comes into play. Now, you're going to look through the green filter and adjust the tint control the same way you did for color. You may not be able to get this one dead accurate, so, get it as close as possible and leave it at that setting. Once you've made the settings, write down the number settings you reached so you'll have them for future reference. Good Luck.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I will have to disagree with Troy's excellent post on one point - I would not start from the "movie" preset or any of the other built-in screen modes. I would turn all of those off and create a purely custom setting starting from the original factory presets. It just strikes me as a "cleaner" way to do it. Also make a note of your settings. While they may change over time (it is a good idea to recalibrate once or twice a year) it is also time consuming and if you lose settings due to a power failure or something* it is a lot easier to restore the settings from a printed list than to recalibrate from scratch.)

Regards,

Joe

* Or in my case a couple of cats who jumped up on the coffee table and stepped on the remote - accessing the video settings and hitting the "restore defaults" options. I finally figured out this was happening and got into the habit of leaving the menu on a screen that has nothing to do with video. Haven't had my settings messed with since. (My TV is on a battery back-up, so apart from the rare power hiccups that last more than a couple of minutes around here, my set never loses settings due to power issues.)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

you cant adjust the RGBs on that model without entering the service menu. Doing this will void the warranty. It also requires instrumentation.

For a starting point, switch to movie mode, contrast about 35, Brightness centered, color 6-8, tint centered, and sharp -10. Color temp to low.

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks