Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What the hell is going on..."Google Deutschland"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 06:33 AM

Every time I open up Google for the last three days or so it opens up into Google Deutschland & there is a prompt to go to "Google in English" that was never there before...virus? Malware? Trojan? Odd Google setting that I am unaware of?

I wanted to add that I have deleted that troublesome Google link I use in Firefox several times and added the proper Google.com link and it keeps reverting to the Google Deutschland link.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 07:01 AM

Try visiting this (Google's IP address). If it works, your DNS is messed up.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 07:25 AM

It's Germany's first step in their invasion plan. Posted Image
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ Reynolds
Try visiting this (Google's IP address). If it works, your DNS is messed up.

CJ

It worked....but perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying, it opened up in Google English so to me it "worked".
However I have tried this before and it works fine but after a while it reverts to Google Deutschland. We'll see how this goes.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 11:04 AM

OK, IE has this same problem and when I try to use MSN search to find Google it always sends me to the German version of Google....does Firefox use IE for browsing in anyway? Could this be a problem with IE and not Firefox or Google?

How do I repair my connection/use of the Domain Name System (not the way it works I guess but I am a novice) if this is indeed the case....or am I totally on the wrong path?

OK...this link Solved: GOOGLE REDIRECT in the USA - Tech Support Guy Forums tells a similar story...any advice on how I can fix this problem?
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 12 2008 - 09:13 AM

Kevin:

Quote:
I shut down the DSL again for a little while and logged back in and VOILA!

Did you turn off your DSL or cable modem and detach it from your computer for about 30 minutes to see if you IP address resets?

Also, after you have done the above go Start > Programs > Accessories > Comand Prompt and at the command prompt type in IPCONFIG/release and then IPCONFIG/renew at the next prompt. Then type in exit at the next prompt and go back to your main screen.

Another thing you can try too is to download our toolbar for the forum which includes a Google toolbar along with direct links to the forums on our site.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 01:09 PM

That's what is frustrating about this Parker, I did everything that the various websites posting this problem suggested and nothing, also I have the toolbar and it still sends me to the German site. I have written Google about this and will wait and see what (if anything) they say about it.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 15 2008 - 05:47 PM

Kevin:

I did a little research on this that I found there was a worm called the P2Load.a worm in 2005 that would redirect Google to a German look alike site. You might see if running your anti-virus or malware program takes care of this problem. Or research to see if something you can run to look for an remove it if round.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 06:33 PM

I have run Mcafee and Malwarebytes anti-malware software and it has found nothing so far but I will certainly look into it and let you know what comes up, thank you Parker, I appreciate your detective work into this annoying problem of mine.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 01:40 AM

Clear out your cache... Clearing Cache

then make sure you clear your host file;
Clear Your Hosts File to Help Prevent Web Page Redirection - Spyware and Adware

Finally useSpybot Search& Destroy - it may find things your virus scan may not.
The home of Spybot-S&D!

If that does not work you also may want to try downloading opera to see if it directs to that site also.
Opera browser: Home page

If that don't clear up you system you should consider moving to Germany...

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:45 AM

You might want to try going here;

What the Tech | formerly TomCoyote

They will walk you through the cleaning of your PC. They helped me twice with serious malware/viruses that I couldn't fix myself.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 11:20 PM

Ok, it no longer redirects me to Germany..in fact Google won't load at all no matter what browser I use, the IP address loads but every time I try to go to the home page or Gmail it absolutely will not load, the various browsers tell me
Quote:
The connection has timed out
The server at Google is taking too long to respond.
...what the hell is going on?
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 14 2008 - 12:12 PM

did you try what I posted in the other thread in general? - reply there...

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Hydrah

Hydrah

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 10:38 AM

The problem is with Google not with your systems. My computer is new, out of the store, as of the day before yesterday and my language of choice is English. I have the same Deutschland problem as you and my software is as clean as you can get it. The problem is not on Google.ca just .com but on .ca you lose the benefit of the dropdown list of suggested topics that's found when you begin typing in a subject.

If anyone knows how I can get this dropdown list on .ca I would appreciate hearing from you.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 10:38 AM

Don't recall what language it was, but my Google page was coming in on somethong other than my native tongue the last few days.
Trouble is, it's hard to trouble shoot when all you have to work with is what amounts to gibberish.
But, I finally stumbled across the correct drop down which is when I found an unexpexted choice, Elmer Fuddi!

Way cool!

Seawch de Web, you scwewy wabbit.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   dthompson2unl

dthompson2unl

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 10:14 AM

I had this same problem. In my case, the hosts file was the culprit.

Eric_L's post of 3/16/08 contains the link to the solution. Thanks, Eric.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Foxx88

Foxx88

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 24 2009 - 10:44 AM

I found what is causing the problem because I had it too.  Your Malwarebytes program probably wasn't updated.  The virus is called Trojan.FakeAlert.N  

Go to RUN  type in REGEDIT, Registry Editor will open.  Follow these steps

Open folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Then SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run

You should see three in there.  DELETE the iovdsgxn file.  Hope this helps

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian31

Brian31

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 20 2010 - 06:26 AM

RE: Problems with google redirecting/language in searches/Google Deutschland

http://www.google.co...519290612&hl=en

by: stealthjunk
I had almost the exact same problem today and none of my anti-spyware programs (SpyBot, AdAware, MalwareBytes, Housecall) could fix it.  Fortunately, I found the solution on another board.  As a little bit of background, viruses sometimes will alter your "hosts" file, which is basically a file that controls the redirecting for your browsers (specifically, this file makes it faster for your computer to convert URLs into the relevant IP addresses by having a shortcut list of IP addresses instead of having to look them up when you type in the URL). 

Anyway, enough background, here's what you need to do to fix:

(1) Click START > RUN > and type in "C:windowssystem32driversetchosts"
(2) When prompted, open the HOSTS file in either Notepad or Wordpad
(3) Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost". 

If you find several lines of IP numbers other than localhost in your hosts file, then this is almost definitely your problem and will be fixed right away.  If not, then this probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a look.

Let me know how it goes -- best of luck!
9 of 16 people found this answer helpful. Did you?
Yes

---------------------
stealthjunk's post on clearing the hosts file extra data worked for me to remove the "go to google deutschland" from the main google webpage.  i first exited all programs and web browsers, then i clicked start > run > type  cmd   (then press enter to get the command console), then type cdwindowssystem32driversetc  (then press enter), then type   edit hosts  (press enter), then scroll down and delete the extra junk except the localhost 127 line (there was like over 50 lines of other hosts in there), then press ALT-F for File then press S to save, then ALT-F then X to exit the editor, now type  exit  (to exit the cmd program).  Now just to be safe i restarted my computer and started my firefox browser and my google homepage was back to normal.  I didnt have to type any of this here, but, I live by the golden rule to do to others as I would want them to do to me, and I'd want someone to confirm how to get rid of that redirect problem, and they sure did, thanks guys!
PS: if you cannot find the hosts file, the virus probably made it hidden and read-only, to undo that, once u get into cdwindowssystem32driversetc folder, type this:  attrib -s -h -r -a hosts  (then press enter), now you can continue with cleaning up the hosts file, and remember it is not a Text file, there is no extension to it, just hosts  (not hosts.txt).
-------------
Brian Stusalitus
04/20/2010

Forum Nav Content I Follow