Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What tv on dvd sets are "fake" widescreen?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#81 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 10:44 PM

If a show or movie was shot in 4x3 then IMO then it should stay in that format, but my point is if the was shot in 16x9 and the original can be remastered for DVD in that format, a DVD that many have original been sold in 4x3 because that's what people wanted at the time.

I don't mind if nothing else is going on in the side bits I just like having it there.

We had a new show this year "Canal Road" which aired in HD at 16x9 but for some insane reason the DVD is in 4x3, this is a new show probably shot less than a year ago.

I just wonder what say the show runners have in how there production is displayed. According to sources with Gilmore Girls it came down to the show runner, so even though other shows from Warner where being sold on DVD world wide in 16x9 they downgraded it to 4x3.

Is it also the reason shows like Scrubs, 70s Show and The Simpsons stuck with 4x3? in the case of The Simpsons it was proven with the movie they had no problem making it in 1x2.25.

#82 of 97 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 31 2008 - 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993
I just wonder what say the show runners have in how there production is displayed. According to sources with Gilmore Girls it came down to the show runner, so even though other shows from Warner where being sold on DVD world wide in 16x9 they downgraded it to 4x3.
Eventhough it was shot 16x9, Warner Brothers preserved the intended aspect ratio of the series and gave us the correct 4x3 aspect ratio on DVD. The intended aspect ratio is what is important and what is supposed to be seen- not the extra wasted space on the sides of the 16x9 frame.

#83 of 97 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 03:38 AM

How about those late '80s HBO movies, like "Traveling Man" with John Lithgow and "Heist" with Pierce Brosnan, they're widescreen on DVD but surely ought to be fullscreen.

#84 of 97 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
If a show or movie was shot in 4x3 then IMO then it should stay in that format, but my point is if the was shot in 16x9 and the original can be remastered for DVD in that format, a DVD that many have original been sold in 4x3 because that's what people wanted at the time.

I don't mind if nothing else is going on in the side bits I just like having it there.

We had a new show this year "Canal Road" which aired in HD at 16x9 but for some insane reason the DVD is in 4x3, this is a new show probably shot less than a year ago.

Is it also the reason shows like Scrubs, 70s Show and The Simpsons stuck with 4x3? in the case of The Simpsons it was proven with the movie they had no problem making it in 1x2.25.

Well, with 'Gilmore Girls' you really get a lot of empty space, it was specifically designed for 4:3 viewing, and it shows. It really distracted me sometimes.
For the Simpsons it would mean more money, I guess. You'd have to fill an additional 25% of every frame, and with 24 episodes in a season, that could become quite a sum.
Randall Winston, producer of Scrubs, said that they made an episode of the fifth season (the finale) in HD, as a test. It was a one-time only because, according to him, the pro's didn't weight out the costs it had. The look of the show doesn't necessarily need HD anyway, I think.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#85 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 03:31 PM

While I agree some shows don't make full use of the extra space on the sides it distracts me when I know it was shot in 16x9 and after paying good money for the DVDs all I see is black bars on the sides.

With current shows that often air on 16x9 channels it only makes sense to me if the produces make them in 16x9 for future and current markets. It's not about wasted space it's about making an image that fills a modern 16x9 screen.

And as I said before, if the show was made in and aired in 16x9 then why not make the DVDs in 16x9 or at least give people the option to buy 16x9 or 4x3 and let the market place decide. I know the first thing I do when I pick up a DVD is to check the ratio and I'm more likely to buy it if it's 16x9. It makes me enjoy the movie or show if I can see all 1,049,088 pixels on the screen are being used.

#86 of 97 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 08:49 PM

Quote:
While I agree some shows don't make full use of the extra space on the sides it distracts me when I know it was shot in 16x9 and after paying good money for the DVDs all I see is black bars on the sides.

With current shows that often air on 16x9 channels it only makes sense to me if the produces make them in 16x9 for future and current markets. It's not about wasted space it's about making an image that fills a modern 16x9 screen.

And as I said before, if the show was made in and aired in 16x9 then why not make the DVDs in 16x9 or at least give people the option to buy 16x9 or 4x3 and let the market place decide. I know the first thing I do when I pick up a DVD is to check the ratio and I'm more likely to buy it if it's 16x9. It makes me enjoy the movie or show if I can see all 1,049,088 pixels on the screen are being used.

You shouldn't be looking at the black bars on the side, but at the show itself Posted Image.
Gilmore Girls was probably only shot in widescreen because the studio said so. So they can sell the different versions according to someone else's needs (one channel wants the widescreen? They get the widescreen. Others might just want the fullscreen version).
And yes, it is about wasted space. It's not about getting the entire screen filled, it's about composition. Gilmore Girls was composed for 4:3, and so it should be seen that way. It's as simple as that.
And I hope you don't mean you'll buy anything faster when it's widescreen? Even when that means cutting off the top and bottom, just to fill the screen?
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#87 of 97 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 01 2008 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
It's not about wasted space it's about making an image that fills a modern 16x9 screen.
That's the same thing as wanting a movie or TV show in pan and scan because it fills your 4x3 screen. People should want what was the intent of the creators whether or not it fills their 16x9 or 4x3 screen.

#88 of 97 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted September 01 2008 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
That's the same thing as wanting a movie or TV show in pan and scan because it fills your 4x3 screen. People should want what was the intent of the creators whether or not it fills their 16x9 or 4x3 screen.

Well, you're close but not quite (re: pan/scan). His argument is akin to people with 4:3 TV sets who want "widescreen-intended" movies presented as "open matte" (with the normally matted-off sections included to give a 4:3 presentation that "fills the screen", but doesn't crop out any of the original picture information). Of course, this was as applied to movies and not TV shows, but the principle is the same.

Like you and everyone else, though, I still feel that the originally-intended framing is what should be presented, not what is more palatable to the average Joe Sixpack or Bubba T. who has one of them thar new-fangled wide-boys.

Unfortunately, though, it looks like this guy simply doesn't "get it" or just refuses to see things any other way, no matter how much you, I or anyone else tries to educate him. I know that I, certainly, am getting tired of making these (correct) arguments.

#89 of 97 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,742 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
I really hate the way most films now look, they're too slick, I really miss the way films still looked in the 1980s. All this fake color stuff they do now, it spoils the fun of watching movies for me now. It takes a really good actor to drag me to a theater now, so I rarely go anymore, I just don't care for it.
EXCACTLY!!!

I F___ING hate color filters on tv shows, and films. It's horrible looking. Director's may think they are cool by using bullshit like this, but they are wrong. Make a real movie with natural colors, or make a cartoon. You can't have it both ways.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#90 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, though, it looks like this guy simply doesn't "get it" or just refuses to see things any other way, no matter how much you, I or anyone else tries to educate him. I know that I, certainly, am getting tired of making these (correct) arguments.
I get what you're saying, no need to be rude. I understand for what ever reason some producers what 4x3 but in these days of HDTV they might find them selves making a product they can't sell on TV. I just think 4x3 looks old fashion on a 16x9 TV, not that there is anything wrong with old shows/movies made before the current sets were around. I guess it's really annoying when I look at some old movies from the 50s that are 16x9 as they were starting to make then for the cinemas to make them big than what people would get on there new TVs.

I admit I don't get why some producers still insist in using an out dated format more than 10 years after some shows started using it.

Another side benefit of seeing some shows in 16x9 when the were intended for 4x3 is mistakes on the sides like the edge of sets or people reaching for someone or something off to the side that's not there, then in the next shot they have it Posted Image

Maybe so of these producers need to go back to school to learn how to use the new format?

#91 of 97 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 06:31 PM

Right on! Posted Image Personally, it distracts me because you spend way too much time noticing it, instead of paying attention to the story. It bothers me that they feel it necessary when it wasn't in the past, you could go anywhere in the world and movies would be looking quite similar, lighting and so forth, today you never know what you're gonna get. And that's a damn annoying position to be in. I can only conclude 'filters/post production tinkering' are used as an additional 'cool' special effect, like constantly watching the world through sunglasses. It's fake.

#92 of 97 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Another side benefit of seeing some shows in 16x9 when the were intended for 4x3 is mistakes on the sides like the edge of sets or people reaching for someone or something off to the side that's not there, then in the next shot they have it Posted Image
"Benefit"? Seriously??

#93 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
"Benefit"? Seriously??
Like the boom-mic in some shots and they just never caught it or bothered to fix it, makes it feel more real somehow.

Well it's fun to watch, lets just leave it at that Posted Image

#94 of 97 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted September 03 2008 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
lets just leave it at that

That part of your statement I can agree with. I'd like to get back on-topic.

#95 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 10:01 PM

I have a new question - The OC - Season one originally came out on DVD in 4x3 then S2-3-4 in 16x9. Now S1 has been re-masters in 16x9 and re-released in a series book with the 4 season. I guess this is a real re-master and not a hack job?

#96 of 97 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,168 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 01:48 AM

Quote:
I have a new question - The OC - Season one originally came out on DVD in 4x3 then S2-3-4 in 16x9. Now S1 has been re-masters in 16x9 and re-released in a series book with the 4 season. I guess this is a real re-master and not a hack job?
It is. All four season of OC were originally broadcast in High-def.

#97 of 97 OFFLINE   lancer1993

lancer1993

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
It is. All four season of OC were originally broadcast in High-def.
I thought so, I didn't have a HD back then. So it was the WB's bright idea to sell the first season originally in 4x3.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow