What's new

Krofft Supershow (1 Viewer)

roark

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
We've gotten some of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows on DVD, but is there any word on the Supershow which featured Wonderbug, Dr. Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dynagirl and others?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
all signs point to Rhino getting out of the video business. The people that backed the Krofft projects are now over at Shout! so maybe there's hope in the future. Otherwise, buy up all the stuff that's out there now.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
roark said:
We've gotten some of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows on DVD, but is there any word on the Supershow which featured Wonderbug, Dr. Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dynagirl and others?
I seriously doubt that the Krofft Supershow will be released in its original format, regardless of who ends up with the rights. For one, the music wraparounds might present a licencing nightmare (or prohibitive royalties).
Another problem is that (with the second season) more than half of the Wonderbug segments were reruns, so a fair number of season 2 shows would contain reruns.
Yes, I, too, would prefer the original hour-long version to be released, but I suspect if we do get these shows, they'll be individually, without the wraparounds/Kaptain Kool segments or umbrella opening/closing sequences.
At least all the episodes were shown on cable a few years back (Cox3, California), so it was at least possible for hardcore fans to see them in their original versions.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They could release this and I wouldn't think twice about ordering it.
Thanks for the heads up on Rhino. It's scary how much of their stuff I waited to order. Last week I got all the MST3K episodes and sets I hadn't ordered from them. About $270 street price worth.
Next I've got to get the complete Land of the Lost and the Bugaloos. It seems likely that Shout! will take on the Krofft stuff. But I sure won't be waiting to see if they'll re-release these things. embodiment of my childhood on these 2 shows alone. It's a shame that Rhino never got around to releasing the whole Sigmund & the Seasmonsters. That was my fav show as a kid. But they only did Season 1. I'm one who was waiting on the rest to come out. I guess I participated in hurting business. :frowning:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
did they use popular music for the wrap arounds? I thought they used songs they controlled from their own publishing company - like HR Pufnstuf or Bugaloos.
I remember watching Kapt Kool and the Kongs while waiting to get my swine flu shot.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember getting mad at my older sister because she was watching the Bay City Rollers show and I wanted to watch Captain Kool. Didn't Captain Kool turn into the Bay City Rollers show?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I remember getting mad at my older sister because she was watching the Bay City Rollers show and I wanted to watch Captain Kool. Didn't Captain Kool turn into the Bay City Rollers show?
Kaptain Kool and the Kongs were replaced after season two by the Bay City Rollers in what was (essentially) a third season of the show, just under a new title.
According to either Michael Lembeck (Capt. Kool) or Mickey McMeel (Turkey), the reason they were replace is that, supposedly, Fred Silverman wanted the Kongs to do a prime-time special and that everyone was up for the idea except Debbie Clinger and/or Lembeck, for fear of typecasting or that she/they didn't like the money (or something like that). Silverman was furious and make sure they didn't come back for a third season.
All of this is according to a video interview on one of the Cox3 airings of the Supershow. I just don't remember which of the two guys this story came from (will have to rewatch my tapes).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The Bay City Rollers show will probably never make it to DVD because of the music.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Corey3rd said:
The Bay City Rollers show will probably never make it to DVD because of the music.
Good! :angry: I'll tell my sis. :D
I'm joking. I kind of like S-A-TUR-DAY NIGHT! as an adult. A really fun song. But at the time I was sure my sis did something to the TV. I'll have to remind her about this. I'll bet she doesn't remember since she's really old now. :D

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
All I would like to have is the rest of Sigmund and all of The Lost Saucer on DVD. I was never that fond of Far Out Space Nuts but I'd probably buy it if it came out.

As for the Supershow, a couple of things. First, the Supershow with Captain Kool was on ABC for two seasons. The Bay City Rollers Show was on NBC. The Bay City Rollers Show was not a third season of the Supershow. None of the original segments (Wonderbug, Dr. Shrinker, Bigfoot & Wildboy, etc) ever appeared on The Bay City Rollers Show. There were two differnent segments for The Bay City Rollers Show that used old characters from other Krofft shows (Sigmund, Pufnstuf, Witchiepoo, Sparky, etc). The shows were two entirely different things.

Secondly, the music rights for the Captian Kool segments would be a nightmare. They did sing some original songs (they did put out an album afterall) so those could be included, but any covers songs might have to be dropped. And frankly, I'm not all that interested in seeing anthing on DVD from that show except the Dr. Shrinker, Electra Woman, etc segments. It would be nice to get the full hour long versons of the show but after a while they got really repetative. Same musical segments over and over. Same jokes over and over.

I watched this when it was originally on and I don't think that I ever saw every Electra Woman or Dr. Shrinker segment but I remember seeing the same two or three Wonderbug segments over and over. That may have been the fault of ABC at the time, but after about a month the show seemed to suddenly go into repeats and for the next few months the same three or four shows were shown over and over and over again.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
The Krofft stuff is an exception for me in that I don't care (or even want) to get it how it was originally presented.

I'd just love to have each show in it's own complete set (or sets for the longer running ones).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
That was exactly my thinking, but I figured most people would've assumed that, anyway. I think most of the "original" songs (at least in the first season) were written and performed by the Osmonds (with the Kaptain and Co. just miming to it).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Brian Himes said:
Same here! I'll buy everything once I get around to it. The Krofft stuff is unique and all feels the same (a good thing).
Land of the Lost and Bugaloos are what I'll be buying within the next month since both series are complete. I may go ahead and pick up Season 1 of Sigmund even though I have many of those on VHS. I have the whole Lidsville show on tape so if I buy that complete DVD show it'll be dead last.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Remember The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show? I think it was on CBS. The only part that I remember is the skit where the three of them were stranded on a tiny island with a single palm tree and a shark fin that would occassionally swim by and they would always start off by saying "Another boring day on Piggy-Piggy".

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
on Google Books they have pages from Hal Erickson's book on the Kroffts. The Osmonds did the music for the first season. The second season was done by Tommy Oliver.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
AndyMcKinney said:
The basic concept was the same, but they did change up the concept behind the show a bit. The Supershow, with the exception of the Lost Saucer reruns that were added to early first season airings, featured all new segments and characters, plus a made up rock group to host the show. Despite the name, the Kroffts themselves had less to do with the show than any of their previous series. They were busy with their theme park in Atlanta.
The purpose of the Superstar Hour was to bring back some of the more popular "superstar" characters from Pufnstuf, Lidsville, Sigmund, Dr. Shrinker, and Land of the Lost and to put them in new situations and segments and have an established band host the show. Originally, it was supposed to be ABBA, but when that fell through, they went with the Rollers.
Another difference between the Superstar Hour and Supershow series is that everything on the Superstar Hour/BCR Show was done by the same people (actors, writers, directors, etc...), while the Supershow segments were done by three different groups, with another group out in Atlanta, and later Los Angeles doing the Kaptain Kool bits.

AmazingGordo

Auditioning
Real Name
gord knight
AndyMcKinney said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970I remember getting mad at my older sister because she was watching the Bay City Rollers show and I wanted to watch Captain Kool. Didn't Captain Kool turn into the Bay City Rollers show?
Kaptain Kool and the Kongs were replaced after season two by the Bay City Rollers in what was (essentially) a third season of the show, just under a new title.

According to either Michael Lembeck (Capt. Kool) or Mickey McMeel (Turkey), the reason they were replaced is that, supposedly, Fred Silverman wanted the Kongs to do a prime-time special and that everyone was up for the idea except Debbie Clinger and/or Lembeck, for fear of typecasting or that she/they didn't like the money (or something like that). Silverman was furious and make sure they didn't come back for a third season.

All of this is according to a video interview on one of the Cox3 airings of the Supershow. I just don't remember which of the two guys this story came from (will have to rewatch my tapes).
What Michael Lembeck said on this subject is actually quite a bit different. For one thing, Debbie Clinger had nothing to do with it at all. You can hear the real story from Mr. Lembeck himself here at 0:49:57 on the video -

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks