What's new

Gunsmoke - Season 2, Volume 2, May 27th! (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
This according to tvshowsondvd.

I hate the split seasons with Gunsmoke, but at least we're getting volume 2 four months after volume 1.

Given the quality of the show, hope they release more seasons. Maybe the outcry over splitting will cause them to go the full season route for season 3? Doubtful, but one can hope..

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hope they go back to full seasons as well but it must be selling to get the next volume 4 months later.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Hey Hey...Matt strolling through Boot Hill on the cover art...what's not to love?

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Not sure it's selling all that well. Still plenty of S2V1 sets at Best Buy and Borders. However, it's going to be a horse race to see if interest lasts long enough to get all the 30 minute shows released. IMHO, those had the tightest scripts and edgy plots.

I hope we'll see Deluxe Sets of the 60-minute/Color seasons released in multiple seasons before (1) the download replacement of the DVD format (2) CBS/Paramount drops GUNSMOKE like they did HAVE GUN - WILL TRAVEL.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thank God. I hope they go back to full season sets as well. Even if they do a half a season at a 4 month clip, by the time season 20 comes out I'll be able to order off the senior citizens menu.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I just got this. The episodes look great! They've included all the right ones this time.

With the episode snafu in Season 2, Volume 1, I watched the fourth season episode expecting to see a brand new story, but was surprised to find that it's nothing more than a remake of the series pilot episode "Hack Prine"! If they had to mix up the episodes, it's too bad we didn't get a more original show!

I've seen the skipped episode "How to Cure a Friend" thanks to the old Columbia House dvd and it's pretty good; at least it's a story that hadn't been done before on Gunsmoke up to that time. When CBS DVD was releasing the second season through Columbia House, they did get the right episode but only remastered the title and Boot Hill scene; the rest of the episode was a beaten up 16mm print touched up a little. CBS DVD has come a loooong way since then.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I just got this. The episodes look great! They've included all the right ones this time.

Are you certain the episodes are correct? The list on the inside cover may not match what's on the discs.

But it sure is fun watching them to be certain they're the correct ones!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Yep, it's all there!

I really hope they continue with Gunsmoke. The show was just beginning to hit its stride. It got so much better when producer Charles Marquis Warren left a quarter into the second season, to be replaced by Norman MacDonnell, the man who originally produced Gunsmoke on the radio. Among other things, he allowed the creator of the show John Meston to do the teleplays to his own stories, instead of having other writers come in, as Warren was doing. Meston was Gunsmoke's heart and soul.

I really don't think Warren did a good job producing the show's first year and a quarter. The show felt a lot like an awkward B Western that was trying to be big and authentic but couldn't quite pull it off because of production limitations. With him gone, the show got smaller and became more of the character study that made it famous. Warren did a much, much better job producing the first few years of Rawhide, probably because it was his baby, and also because it was much better suited for the themes of grandiosity and historical authenticity that he wanted to explore.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
You know that CBS was reluctant to hand over the TV show to "radio" people like Meston and MacDonnell...that's why CBS talked Warren into taking the job. Warren was a film guy and looked down on -television- as cheap competition of movies. Arness would later say in his biography that one of the reasons Warren left was because the stars became more well-known than the show itself.

Credit goes to Meston and MacDonnell for coming up with the term "adult Western" as a description of the radio show.

Up there with MacDonnell (who preferred writing his name "Macdonnell") is Andrew McLaglen, director of most of the HGWT episodes. Gee, it sure would be nice to have Seasons 4, 5, & 6 of that show on DVD. ;)

Personally, I'm done when/if the 60-minute GUNSMOKE shows begin on DVD. They offered more avails for commercials, but little else for the viewer, except loose writing and lots of music and scenery fills.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Yeah, if the could get up to season 6, I'd be very happy as well! The hour long shows were run on the Western Channel in uncut, unedited form from 2002-2005; and the color ones have been on TV Land. Seasons 4-6 haven't been rerun anywhere in complete form; they are the rarest of all the Gunsmoke seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks