What's new

Golden Compass - 4/29/08 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The movie was such a financial disaster for New Line that it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't bother with pouring more money into an extended cut.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I don't think a worldwide gross of 321 million dollars could be categorised as a financial disaster. Its a decent overall profit. I think the production budget was 180 million dollars. Sure the greedy execs wanted more - they probably were thinking all of their movies will do LOTR grosses. It did ok worldwide.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Wow! I just confirmed this at imdb.com...holy sheet, sell the rights off to all the areas that don't consider the series controversial, but keep ahold of them in Puritan-strangled America. Bright bulbs over there at New Line...

Robert George

Screenwriter

I think the point to consider here is that New Line may not get any of the international theatrical gross, but they didn't give those rights away. New Line did receive money for those international rights. I don't know how much, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the price of a hot dog and Coke at Tail 'o The Pup.

As for a sequel, New line may well green light a sequel based on worldwide gross, or even based on video revenue, even though they did get the international receipts because they do know how to read, and they know $321 million does indicate some interest.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... If New Line is finally getting folded into Warner, I wonder how that would impact (the quality of) BD releases...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks