-

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Compass - 4/29/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 25 2008 - 05:46 AM

Home Media Magazine - Januray 27, 2008

Ad on 2nd page.

EDIT: Can a mod fix my title misspelling of 'Golden'? Thanks.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 14 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 06:44 AM

YW! Posted Image

Cees

#3 of 14 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,848 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hmmm... No mention of an extended version...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 09:51 AM

The movie was such a financial disaster for New Line that it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't bother with pouring more money into an extended cut.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 14 Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 09:59 AM

I don't think a worldwide gross of 321 million dollars could be categorised as a financial disaster. Its a decent overall profit. I think the production budget was 180 million dollars. Sure the greedy execs wanted more - they probably were thinking all of their movies will do LOTR grosses. It did ok worldwide.

#6 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair_M
I don't think a worldwide gross of 321 million dollars could be categorised as a financial disaster. Its a decent overall profit. I think the production budget was 180 million dollars. Sure the greedy execs wanted more - they probably were thinking all of their movies will do LOTR grosses. It did ok worldwide.

Except that New Line gets exactly $0 for that overseas gross.

#7 of 14 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Except that New Line gets exactly $0 for that overseas gross.

??? Explain???
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#8 of 14 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 06:36 PM

New Line sold all non-US theatrical rights prior to release. They won't see a dime of the international box office.

#9 of 14 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 12:05 AM

They sold them for $0.00?
Stupid!

Cees

#10 of 14 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
New Line sold all non-US theatrical rights prior to release. They won't see a dime of the international box office.

Wow! I just confirmed this at imdb.com...holy sheet, sell the rights off to all the areas that don't consider the series controversial, but keep ahold of them in Puritan-strangled America. Bright bulbs over there at New Line...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...

#11 of 14 Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 01:34 AM

Quote:

I think the point to consider here is that New Line may not get any of the international theatrical gross, but they didn't give those rights away. New Line did receive money for those international rights. I don't know how much, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the price of a hot dog and Coke at Tail 'o The Pup.

As for a sequel, New line may well green light a sequel based on worldwide gross, or even based on video revenue, even though they did get the international receipts because they do know how to read, and they know $321 million does indicate some interest.

#12 of 14 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
Wow! I just confirmed this at imdb.com...holy sheet, sell the rights off to all the areas that don't consider the series controversial, but keep ahold of them in Puritan-strangled America. Bright bulbs over there at New Line...

Posted Image Well, as it has already been stated, I'm sure they didn't sell them for nothing, but these types of decisions on the part of New Line don't make news like this surprising:

Deadline Hollywood Daily » SOURCES: Bob Shaye’s New Line Contract Won’t Be Renewed By Time Warner Boss
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#13 of 14 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
New Line did receive money for those international rights. I don't know how much, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the price of a hot dog and Coke at Tail 'o The Pup.

Conversely, I doubt it was enough, coupled with the U.S. box office take, to push this investment into the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
As for a sequel, New line may well green light a sequel based on worldwide gross, or even based on video revenue, even though they did get the international receipts because they do know how to read, and they know $321 million does indicate some interest.

God, I so hope you're right.

#14 of 14 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,848 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hmmm... If New Line is finally getting folded into Warner, I wonder how that would impact (the quality of) BD releases...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow