Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Connect macbook to home theatre?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   westcoastbias

westcoastbias

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 04:23 AM

Hello all, I am looking at creating a system where I can wirelessly (either via the wireless internet card or bluetooth) connect my macbook to the home theatre to take use of the speakers (5.1 would be nice, but just using them at all is the goal). What sort of hardware do I need to make this happen? Is it possible to send video as well as audio to the system so I can watch movies from the macbook on the TV? If so what sort of hardware is needed? I have absolutely nothing right now, so I can get whatever I need without a problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 04:55 PM

So am I! Ideally I would to find a Bluetooth interface that could be connected to my amplifier.
Regards,

Bob Wilson

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Buckethead78

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 05:02 AM

Apple TV should fit the bill.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   westcoastbias

westcoastbias

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 09:37 AM

I noticed that some receivers have a USB port in them for playing music on it. Is it possible to plug in a wireless card (such as airport express) and then connect it to the router and play music from the macbook that route? does anyone know? Thanks.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Raltit

Raltit

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 10:31 AM

You will have a DVI output connector on your macbook. You can get a DVI to HDMI converter and then plug into a DVI port on your amp if you like. You may need to route audio via the headphone jack. Depending on your setup, your AMP may be able to see your music etc from your mac with the right software. Hope this helps R

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 03:36 AM

If it was wireless it would. I am trying to avoid more cables strung around the house. Since Bluetooth is built into the MAC I would like to find a methodology to send audio from the Powerbook via Bluetooth to device with a Bluetooth receiver that would have a stereo output port that would could be connected to an amplifier stereo input. My problem is that I am writing music and any set of computer speakers or headphones simply do not have either enough dynamic range or low frequency response for an evaluation of a given piece of music. Currently I am forced to use Finale or Sibelius to record something in a .wav file, convert the .wav file to .mp3, burn a CD, and play it on my stereo system. While that process works, it is slow and expensive and wasteful in the long run.
Regards,

Bob Wilson

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 05:07 AM

There's always Apple - Airport Express airport express, which uses 802.11g (also built into your mac).

Bluetooth just doesn't have the bandwidth for high fidelity sound The other option is to get a nice set of headphones (grado, high end sennheiser, etc) and a headphone amplifier

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 08:55 AM

That sounds like a good solution. I'll check into that. Thanks!
Regards,

Bob Wilson

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 10:06 AM

One potential flaw in the scheme, though-- as setup, airport Express only streams from iTunes-- which may suit your purposes nicely. If, however, you're not using itunes, Airfoil allows you to stream audio from any application. Latency may be an issue, though.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted January 20 2008 - 01:48 AM

Jeremy, thanks for the info. I am just a MAC user, but my son is a MAC person, and he told me about Airfoil. I also read the article in MAC World about the latency effect. I will not know if that will be a problem or not until try it. Unless the Airport/Airfoil combination is really kludgey, it should be satisfactory. I thought I had posted an update that addressed all of this, but it must have been lost in the ether somewhere. Thanks again to you and everyone who has made a suggestion.
Regards,

Bob Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users