Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting HDTV to Digital Cable and A/V Receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 01:13 AM

What is the best way to connect an HDTV (with HDMI, Component Video connections) to a HD Cable box and A/V Receiver?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Bmoney

Bmoney

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 01:38 AM

HDMI from cable box to reciever HDMI from reciever to HDTV enjoy!

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 03:25 AM

I understand that connection. I'll be setting this up for a neighbor. Suppose my neighbor decides that on occasion they want to watch TV WITHOUT the A/V Receiver on, with the connection mentioned they would not be able to watch HD programming? How about doing HDMI from cable box to TV, and running Component Video from the A/V Receiver and HD DVD player to the TV (I realize I will need either Optical or Coaxial Sound connections for this hookup)? I think with this option they can watch HD programming at all times (with and without A/V Receiver on)?

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 11 2008 - 04:30 AM

Walt:

What you're suggesting is certainly workable. For that matter you could do component from the cable box to the TV along with analog stereo and keep the cable to receiver to TV all HDMI. Either arrangement will work, and neither is necessarily better than the other. It could come down to input and ouput placement on the components, the layout of the HT entertainment unit or shelving and the lengths of the various cables. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 04:53 AM

I've always been set up "directly" video-wise...box (cable then, HDTV now), VCR, DVD wired to the TV...A/V receiver only used for sound. The wife hates using the receiver.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the input. For the record, here's a link to the cable box supplied by the cable company.

Motorola - Connected Home Solutions - Digital Video Solutions - DCH3200 Host Set-top

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 11 2008 - 07:37 AM

I've always run everything through the receiver and almost never use the TV speakers. (Unless I'm recording two things and watching a third.)

Don't have a wife.

(These two things may be related. Posted Image)

Regards,

Joe

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 03:27 PM

Digital Cable box and TV both have Digital Audio (Optical Out). Is it best to connect the Optical Audio Out FROM the Cable box TO the A/V Receiver or FROM the TV TO the A/V Receiver? I was going to connect FROM the Cable Box TO the A/V Receiver.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 12:00 AM

I used to have the same problem. Then I bought a Harmony activity-based remote and my wife loves it. I run everything through the receiver and my wife just has to push the "Watch TV" button on the remote and everything turns on and gets set to the correct setting.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 13 2008 - 01:19 AM

Either should work and I don't think one is necessarily superior to the other. Regards, Joe

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 02:15 AM

Actually, running the optical from the TV to the receiver will result in 2.0 PCM in 99% of the TV's out there. The digital audio out on most TV's only outputs 5.1 DD from the internal ATSC tuner. All other sources are downmixed to 2.0 PCM. He should connect the optical from the cable box and not from the TV in order to get DD 5.1 from cable.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 13 2008 - 02:17 AM

I did not know that. Thanks for the heads-up. Walt, ignore what I said, listen to Jeff. Posted Image

Joe

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 06:35 AM

Thanks again guys for the help. Is there something like a Y adapter for Optical Audio and HDMI cables (similar to the old Y adapters used with the analog cables)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users