Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bonnie & Clyde HD/BD - 3/25/08 - merged

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 30 2007 - 10:01 AM

Info

Definite pick up for me! Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 10:04 AM

A must have for me.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

See Ma, Warner can release classic films! Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 12:50 AM

Oh come on people! There's only two of us excited about this release?!

Yeah there's no CGI Enterprise or giant robots but sheesh!

No wonder Warner is the only studio releasing classic films.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,096 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2007 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I hope Warner releases Cool Hand Luke on HDM too.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 02:18 AM

I'm close to getting an HDDVD player (due to the Venturer's price) and I would definitely get B&C.

Quote:

You can say the same thing about foreign films. Even though everyone on this forum has a DVD player, very few seem to care when a foreign film DVD is announced. It appears the only foreign films in your collection are martial arts/Samurai films, so some can question why you're ignoring the multitudes of foreign films outside Japan. Posted Image

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 02:35 AM

on the other hand its perfectly possible to be a fan of world cinema and not care for Bonnie & Clyde.

I've never cared for either of the leads, and found this to be very over-rated when I picked up the widescreen DVD back in the late 90s.

I'm glad Warners are releasing it, because it has a reputation as an important film (although looking at it even in hindsight its difficult to see why) but it's not to my taste so I wont be getting it.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
You can say the same thing about foreign films. Even though everyone on this forum has a DVD player, very few seem to care when a foreign film DVD is announced. It appears the only foreign films in your collection are martial arts/Samurai films, so some can question why you're ignoring the multitudes of foreign films outside Japan. Posted Image

Oh come on now, you're not one of those "world cinema/arthouse" snobs are you? Posted Image I've seen multitudes of foreign films (outside of Japan and Hong Kong) but that doesn't mean I have to own everything I've seen or even enjoyed.

Be careful I may have seen more foreign language films than you have, you never know. Posted Image

Anyhow I doubt we have the same tastes in foreign films but some non-Japanese (Kurosawa and Mizoguchi are disqualified eh?), non-Hong Kong, non-Italian Horror or Spaghetti western titles I'd jump at in HD (off the top of my head) are M, The Testament of Dr Mabuse, Pepe le moko, Port of Shadows, Touchez pas au grisbi, Le Corbeau, Les Diaboliques, Quai des Orfèvres, Le Trou, Bob le flambeur, Wages of Fear, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, etc. All of which I currently own on DVD. But again I only buy films that I think would get many repeat viewings.
Death before Streaming!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Oh come on now, you're not one of those "world cinema/arthouse" snobs are you? Posted Image I've seen multitudes of foreign films (outside of Japan and Hong Kong) but that doesn't mean I have to own everything I've seen or even enjoyed.

Be careful I may have seen more foreign language films than you have, you never know. Posted Image

Sounds like a challenge... you're on ! Posted Image

I was only partly kidding anyways, but I get what you're saying. The classic/foreign film market is a small market and the HDM market is very small as well. You can imagine how small the market is for classic/foreign films on HDM is.

And since the vast majority of Blu-Ray machines out there are through the PS3 and there's a decent chunk of 360 add-ons out there - we really can't expect many of the typical gamers to have an interest in classic/foreign films.

It's great to see Warner releasing these titles, but I fear that they'll be slowing down these releases as they realize their sales aren't increasing by much as time goes on.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colella
Sounds like a challenge... you're on ! Posted Image

I was only partly kidding anyways, but I get what you're saying. The classic/foreign film market is a small market and the HDM market is very small as well. You can imagine how small the market is for classic/foreign films on HDM is.

And since the vast majority of Blu-Ray machines out there are through the PS3 and there's a decent chunk of 360 add-ons out there - we really can't expect many of the typical gamers to have an interest in classic/foreign films.
Except there's an awful lot of non-gamers (such as myself) who bought the PS3 simply because it's one of the best BD players out there. I don't think it's fair to assume that PS3 owners are all a bunch of 20-something gamers.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 08:38 AM

Quote:

I'm excited about classic films on HD. In fact, most of what I'm waiting for is classic & foreign (god, ENOUGH with the hi-octane action flicks already). But Bonnie & Clyde is not a title that I am excited about. Hopefully this means more to come, though.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
I don't think it's fair to assume that PS3 owners are all a bunch of 20-something gamers.

I didn't assume that all are "20-something gamers", but you can bet most PS3s are purchased by gamers... otherwise BD movie sales would be MUCH higher than the 2:1 (or 3:1) lead over HD DVD considering the amount of PS3s in homes.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:18 PM

Great movie, but I've seen it multiple times on HDNet over the past few months, so if I want to see it again in HD I can grab it from there....

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 03 2007 - 12:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah but from the years I've spent here I think classic films and foreign films are two seperate markets. Sure there's overlap but I think the overall market for foriegn films is only a fraction of what the classic film market is (in the current world of DVD).

I wouldn't hold out much hope for very many foreign films on HDM until the classic market gets some traction.

Quote:

Well it is what it is. There are an abundance of gamers into BD and HD DVD. Unfortunately due to $98 HD DVD players I think we have a new demographic in the mix, the "Wal-Mart shopper". I don't see many of these people buying catalog titles (let alone classics) or even plunking down an extra $10 for an HD version of a film. Most of these people will probably be perfectly happy with using it to upconvert their SD discs.

Quote:
It's great to see Warner releasing these titles, but I fear that they'll be slowing down these releases as they realize their sales aren't increasing by much as time goes on.

I don't know about that. If they were to slow down I think they would've done so by now. It's possible they're selling just enough HDM to make releases like Bonnie & Clyde worthwhile. It's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted December 03 2007 - 02:45 AM

Great news.

Hopefully that Cool Hand Luke HD annoucement is not far behind. Posted Image

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hopefully a new edition means a new transfer as well.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 08:03 AM

there's a new transfer all right- at 4K.

There was a big article a few months back about it (I know Blade Runner was also done at 4K, and I think Cool Hand Luke was as well)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow