Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CAPS LOCK issue on my Macbook Pro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 04:04 AM

Just noticed something strange....

My CAPS LOCK key is lit as being "on" yet I am typing
in small print.

If I turn the CAPS LOCK key off, EVERYTHING TYPES IN CAPITAL
LETTERS.

What the heck is going on?!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 05:02 AM

If you have Function keys set to work as standard function keys in "System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Tab" then your "Fn key" (as a modifier key) could be locked on. Just tap the Fn key to unlock it.

OR

Look in "System Preferences>Universal Access>Keyboard Tab" and see is "Sticky Keys" has been turned on. If so your "Shift Key" (as a modifier key) could be locked on. Just tap the Fn key to unlock it.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 08:20 AM

Daryl,

Sticky keys wasn't on, but get this....

Upon a reboot the problem went away.

Very strange. thanks for your help.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 09:22 AM

Ronald,

Glad you got it corrected. Once I read your reply it reminded me of a very similar situation about a week or so ago. My Capslock light was on and if I turned it off only the integrated numberpad worked. Rebooting is what corrected it also.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   gabriel2009

gabriel2009

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

I just notice today after 1 week of not using my macbook pro ( left behind in my house) , I was out in a field work.

The letters that I type in my email and applications are always in capital letters, the caps LED is turning off and on once I pressed it. I turn off the caps lock , still the letters are all in capital format..

Any help I can get from you.???

gab

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted June 20 2010 - 02:41 AM

Gab:

Try going into your System Preferences > Keyboard as described in the above posts and play around with some the functions that others have mentioned or unless you have specific keys

set up reset your keyboard to your default. Then reboot and see if that fixes it.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   k9trainerlarry

k9trainerlarry

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 19 2012 - 02:36 PM

All I did was update Adobe and after it restarted everything I type on my macbook pro is caps. A couple of the discussion boards I checked indicated it would go away if I rebooted, so I did. Now I can't enter my password because it will only type capitals....every key is capitalized, including the number keys. I'm locked out of my macbook now until I figure out a way to log in. So, I'm looking for the answer on my iMac. I have the latest update to Lion, I don't run bootcamp and don't use a number keypad. Doesn't matter if the caps lock key is on or not...everything is caps. Can someone help me figure out a way to log on to my macbook and fix this issue?

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted February 20 2012 - 09:52 AM

What if you plug in the external keyboard from the iMac? If it's a wireless keyboard then I guess it's no help.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   mvv614

mvv614

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 01:06 AM

The same problem happened to my macbook a few years ago. I tried the FN key trick but it only worked temporarily. After attempting to reboot because i could only type in CAPS i could not log on because i was unable to type special characters that are included in my password. i had to take it to the apple store where they checked the circuit board and found a little "water damage" which i denied. they were able to dust off the circuit board enough and i haven't had the problem since. It's really annoying but I think if you can take it in they can most likely fix it without sending it in. they advised me to get a new laptop in case of failure but 3 years after it's working just fine. hope this helps!