What's new

So, when can we expect software prices to become reasonable? (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm the odd man out here, maybe not. Picked up an HDA2 during the Walmart blitz. Looks great on HD material. Does a great job of upconversion as well. Didn't have an upconverting player before, so I'm really liking that. Sure there's a difference between an upconverted & true HD picture, but not a staggering one in my eye.

Which brings me to my point. $30 for a new HD release?! Pffffft, I think not. At this point it looks like Netflix will be my primary source for HD media. Which brings me to my second point. Wake up studios and get HD releases more in line with the SD counterparts, < $20. IMHO formats live & die by software sales & at current prices, I don't see myself buying many.

-Dave

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

If you shop around you can find most every release for about $19.95. I've never paid more than $25 for a combo.

Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd expect B&M prices to remain about the same until high def media starts selling alot more copies and get more shelf space in stores. Like Douglas said though, you can usually find a decent price if you search around or wait for a sale.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I know it seems expensive, but I get jazzed about new releases.

I know it's more expensive, but the percent of price paid extra is relative to the improvement that you get over an SD disc.

They flat out look and sound amazing, and on my A2 upconversion, to true HD is striking in my opinion. I wouldn't have it any other way.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
With all of the blu-ray sales, probably around 80% of their titles were available at one time or another for $8 to $12 from Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City or Fry's.

It would be nice if there would be more HD-DVD sales, especially from Universal. Fry's will occasionally have some HD-DVD sales, but with very limited selection.

I've found myself checking my Amazon gold box lately, since I've been able to find some decent deals there, just picked up Battlestar Galactica Season 1 for $59 yesterday.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"Reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. The list prices for HD software today are in the same ballpark as the prices for new DVD releases 10 years ago -- and those dollars were worth a lot more then.

Prices are always higher when a format is new. They come down with volume. If you want to be an early adopter (even a "late-early" adopter), it's gonna cost you. Don't be fooled by cheap players. They're like razors -- the real goal is to get you buying the blades. :)

M.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
What's reasonable for High Definition movies? The $4.99 bin at Wal-Mart? DVD's dirt-cheap prices have spoiled people far too much. It makes trying to deliver quality a fool's errand.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I remember the days of laserdiscs when a movie only disc was $30 or $40 and a special edition could be as much as $100 or $125 (and given your profile pic, you remember those days too) so $30 for a much higher quality product doesn't seem that bad to me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Until the recent changes in the Canadian dollar, prices on HD media didn't seem that severe in the B & Ms. Now that new release films have started coming down in price at the B & Ms, the gulf is widening, oddly enough.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I think the same arguement could be made for cheap DVD players as it pertains to their HD counterparts.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
We can expect it when the studios decide they want to start selling them in large numbers. ;)

Hopefully soon. Enjoying the recent spate of BD sales, even if they tend to always be on the same titles. (Also keep an eye out for the occasional coupon codes for the Warner online store -- most BD and HD-DVD titles are only $20-$27 there, so with 25% off and free shipping for most orders, there are some very nice deals to be had -- I got some of the new Kubricks on BD for $15 apiece.)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The Warner store is definitely the place to shop for WB releases. NVBM is this month's 25% off code. Lately there's been a 25% off code every month. It used to be only 20%.

Ocean's Trilogy BD for $45 was too good to pass up. Only wish they'd ship it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think they've cleared up their fulfillment issues, at least for recent orders. I placed an order on 10/31 and have since received everything that wasn't a pre-order aside from one item that they emailed me as being backordered.

Grant, thanks for the new code!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That is exactly wht I was thinking even as I clicked to open this thread. Personally I think the same is true for the hardware pricing also and that is why I have never understood why such a fuss is made about the Blu-Ray prices. Considering the little time since the product was introduced, I think the prices are already great.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I think there is a lot of people afraid to part with their hard earned cash these days with energy costs rising (gas prices), foreclosures on homes, the WAR Currently in Iraq and who knows where next. Buying HD & Bluray discs are not a priority for many, probably most people. It's a luxury they can live without.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

1977 SONY SL-7200 Betamax (1977 MSRP: $1,055)

Beverly Hills Cop on Betamax cassette (1985 MSRP: $79)

Adjusted for inflation you the consumer paid $3609 for a VCR and $147 for each movie. Now quit yer bellyachin about $30 hi-def movies.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In 1985, those tape prices were aimed at video rental shops, not consumers.

Also, in those days, we used to rent the VCR too! I remember we'd get the player and a half-dozen or so movies and watch 'em over a weekend.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

This is true. They were priced for the rental market. Maybe 8 months or a year later the price would come down to $40 or $50.

I believe the first "sell through" priced video was Beverly Hills Cop which Paramount priced at $19.95. The video rental store owners were pissed because they thought at that price no one would rent it.

Doug

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Sounds to me like all the more reason to enjoy life. Part of the enjoyment for me is movies in HD in my own home!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks