Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tales of the Gold Monkey in the works ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 of 139 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 01:18 PM

Well i waited a couple days to see if someone would bump up a thread with the recent news on tvsodvd. Now i just looked and could not find a single thread devoted to this classic. This is the best release news i have heard in awhile. This is something to be excited about if it pans out for next spring. This is a series for Indiana Jones fans more so than the young indy chronicles in my book.

Thanks to TVShowsOnDVD.com for the news this really made may day when i read it the other day. Bring it on Baby!! Universal now make this more than a rumor would you please! then get to Street Hawk.

http://www.tvshowson....ey-Rumors/8315

#2 of 139 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 24 2007 - 01:36 PM

I'm all for both. I had read that ShoutFactory was trying to license this though.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#3 of 139 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 02:32 PM

It's about time this comes out - Donald P. Belliario who gave us MAGNUM PI, QUANTUM LEAP,JAG, and NCIS produced this show, which was alot of fun!
Jeff McKay who co-stars had re-occuring roles on both MAGNUM and JAG!

Some people acccused it of being an "Indiana Jones" rip-off show, but the dynamics actually is closer to post-war TERRY AND THE PIRATES comic strips and the 1950's tv series!

#4 of 139 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson
It's about time this comes out - Donald P. Belliario who gave us MAGNUM PI, QUANTUM LEAP,JAG, and NCIS produced this show, which was alot of fun!
Jeff McKay who co-stars had re-occuring roles on both MAGNUM and JAG!

Some people acccused it of being an "Indiana Jones" rip-off show, but the dynamics actually is closer to post-war TERRY AND THE PIRATES comic strips and the 1950's tv series!

That may be but I guarantee you the only reason they are releasing this is to try to tie in to the new Indiana Jones film. And you can bet that it will say something about IJ on the box. Universal doesn't do anything without trying to tie it in to something current.

#5 of 139 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 12:09 AM

I LOVED this show. I'll be grabbing it if the rumors are true.

#6 of 139 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 05:20 AM

As a kid who loved Raiders and this show, I really hope this is true.

#7 of 139 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 25 2007 - 05:41 AM

I hope this is true also as this is one of the many short lived tv series that I have heard about that I really wanted to check out. This show sounds so cool. I'm crossing my fingers this is true.

#8 of 139 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 25 2007 - 07:27 AM

I would buy it. I remember it, and Bring 'em Back Alive, well. Both had their charms, but neither was what i would call great TV. Good, fun TV, nothing more. If you are to young to have seen this show, keep your expectations real. I remember some episodes being a little dull. The acting was top notch, (Roddy McDowell and Steven Collins) but the characters were more one dimensional than a Saturday morning serial. It had the same look as any other Universal show from the early or mid eighties, but of course it was a period show.

#9 of 139 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 08:46 AM

Is anyone else hoping to here more news on this soon? I'm pretty psyched for it's release and I hope it's released for summer/fall.

#10 of 139 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 04:27 PM

It is on my must own list. So i am certainly hoping a release comes to fruition in the near future. If it does not happen to either tie in with the theatrical release of Indy 4 or the eventual dvd release of Indy 4, then it never will.

#11 of 139 OFFLINE   DVDiva

DVDiva

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 08:56 AM

Universal has put this set on hold. It was in pre-production and they had several cast and crew members lined up to tape commentaries and interviews, but nothing was yet recorded before Universal made their decision. The project hasn't been cancelled, but there's no release date set.

I don't know why they've put this set on hold, but it's not an isolated incident. The major studios (Universal, Warner Bros., CBS/Paramount, Disney) have really cut back on their plans for TV on DVD recently. About the only shows they've greenlighted are current or recent programs. At the same time, they've been ramping up their online streaming enterprises, mainly with older series. Since it's cheaper to stream than it is to produce DVD sets, they may be more inclined to stream a show first to judge if there is sufficient interest before committing resources for a DVD release. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal begins streaming some Tales of the Gold Monkey episodes, probably in their retro section at NBC.COM, around the time of the Indy IV release.

#12 of 139 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
It was in pre-production and they had several cast and crew members lined up to tape commentaries and interviews

It's sad that criteria includes lining up such things. Just release the show. I know some care about such things, but the #1 priority is being able to watch the actual program. If people do commentaries fine, if not, oh well. The gap between the first priority and everything else is huge.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Universal begins streaming some Tales of the Gold Monkey episodes, probably in their retro section at NBC.COM, around the time of the Indy IV release.

...if only Universal had a cable outlet that they could use to regain interest.....

#13 of 139 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 13 2008 - 01:24 PM

Is that a sarcastic comment? If not, they actually do have an outlet in Universal HD. I don't think it's in all that many homes, though. They played Quantum Leap for a while, with music intact, but it didn't last long. I'd love to see Gold Monkey on there.

#14 of 139 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 13 2008 - 02:28 PM

Universal has Sci-Fi, and USA, both would be good to show Tales again. I saw it less than 10 years ago, but i dont remember what channel it was on.

#15 of 139 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDiva
Universal has put this set on hold. It was in pre-production and they had several cast and crew members lined up to tape commentaries and interviews, but nothing was yet recorded before Universal made their decision. The project hasn't been cancelled, but there's no release date set.

Well if that is true it certainly does not bode well. Not to doubt you but maybe Gord and Dave can look into this abit further and see what they can dig up.

#16 of 139 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 10:12 AM

I actually transfered my ABC masters last year right before they announced this and I was saying why did I waste my time. But I guess not now that they have backed out.

#17 of 139 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted May 26 2008 - 11:13 AM

Anything?

#18 of 139 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 01:29 PM

That really sucks that it's been put on hold. I was really looking forward to this. Hopefully it gets worked out and fastracked on DVD.

Has anyone else heard more on this? Dave or Gord perhaps?

#19 of 139 OFFLINE   DVDiva

DVDiva

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 05:33 AM

Hi, I'm the owner of Goldmonkey.com, the semi-official Tales of the Gold Monkey website. USHE's foot-dragging and the recent death of Jeff MacKay ("Corky") have made me mad as hell, so I'm going to let you all in on some of the behind the scenes info.

I was contacted right after Christmas by a producer who was working on a TOTGM DVD set for Universal. He was helping out with extras, but had never seen the show, so he asked me for help. They knew how to contact Stephen Collins, but nobody else. The first person I got him in contact with was Jeff MacKay. The producer later called me back really excited. He had talked to Jeff for 20 minutes and, even though they had a $0 budget, they were now planning on doing commentary for several episodes and interviews with whomever they could get. He stated that everybody had to be in the studio by the end of January (I assumed that Universal was planning on releasing the set in May to coincide with the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull release.). I later got an e-mail from him where he mentioned that Universal had given them more time. I last heard from him 6 months ago when he told me that the DVD had been pushed back and no release date was available. He also let me know that none of the interviews and commentaries had been recorded yet.

I don't know the reason for the delay, but I have noticed that Universal Studios Home Entertainment's TV on DVD slate for 2008 is, with very few exceptions, recent/current series or long running, older shows that they were already releasing in season sets. I've heard rumors that GE, which owns NBC/Universal, has slashed USHE's budget, resulting in fewer releases, but I can't confirm that.

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for Universal to put out a set, and even if they did, without Jeff, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it was originally planned to be. Posted Image

#20 of 139 OFFLINE   Alex cosmo

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 10:21 AM

Aw Jeff MacKay died? That sucks! I loved that guy. He was great on Magnum too.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow