What's new

Help - Remote Control That Works Thru Cabinets (for Newbie) (1 Viewer)

EYESPORTS

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
I am purchasing an entertainment center (wood cabinets) - to hold our TV (DLP) and other equipment (Denon 2807 receiver, Onkyo AMP, Cable Box - HD, DVD player and a power unit). The cabinets have wood doors and the equipment goes behind them on shelves.

I am looking to use a universal remote control. The equipment I have will be located in the cabinet (behind the wood doors). We are sitting approximately 12 feet away from the unit.

It sounds like RF would be for me - rather than going thru the expense of IR. But, I really don't know the difference and would like to make this as simple as possible. Can someone recommend what I should use. Thank you.

jrockbrook

Auditioning
Real Name
John Rockbrook
You might want to check out the Logitech Harmony 890 universal remote.

Jrockbrook

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are also dozens of IR extenders on the market. Some $20 wireless ones that work about 90% of the time to $200 wired ones that work 100% of the time. Parts Express and Smart Home have the best selections.

-Robert

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I work as an A/V installer, so here are my extended thoughts-

I think what the poster means by RF is a remote system that sends and receives RF through the cabinet, and a base station inside that converts the RF to IR. The base station then sends the IR via an emitter that is attached to the front of each piece of equipment.

I use the MX-850 in such situations, and it works quite well.

It is especially useful when you are using remote speakers, so you can change volume from anywhere(an IR repeater system still requires you to point at an eye to receive the signal). It will also allow you to change sources, tracks, etc., away from the equipment. There is also one less wire to run- the IR eye requires a wire from it to the connecting block from which the emitters are plugged into.

Another issue is one of cost- you MUST use a plasma-proof eye when using an IR repeater where a plasma TV is present- they emit tons of IR signal and will frequently interfere with the repeater system. The plasma-proof receiver (eye) is probably twice as expensive as a non-plasma-proof one.

I am a fan of RF in closed cabinet situations, though the guy I work for prefers IR repeater systems, as he thinks they are more reliable. I myself have not had issues with RF based systems.

Having said that, either will work in your situation...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks