Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Help - Remote Control That Works Thru Cabinets (for Newbie)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic




  • 31 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005

Posted October 14 2007 - 12:18 AM

I am purchasing an entertainment center (wood cabinets) - to hold our TV (DLP) and other equipment (Denon 2807 receiver, Onkyo AMP, Cable Box - HD, DVD player and a power unit). The cabinets have wood doors and the equipment goes behind them on shelves. I am looking to use a universal remote control. The equipment I have will be located in the cabinet (behind the wood doors). We are sitting approximately 12 feet away from the unit. It sounds like RF would be for me - rather than going thru the expense of IR. But, I really don't know the difference and would like to make this as simple as possible. Can someone recommend what I should use. Thank you.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   jrockbrook



  • 1 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 14 2007

Posted October 15 2007 - 08:15 AM

You might want to check out the Logitech Harmony 890 universal remote. Jrockbrook

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J


    Lead Actor

  • 8,184 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 22 2000
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 15 2007 - 11:46 PM

There are also dozens of IR extenders on the market. Some $20 wireless ones that work about 90% of the time to $200 wired ones that work 100% of the time. Parts Express and Smart Home have the best selections. -Robert




  • 31 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 04 2005

Posted October 18 2007 - 01:40 PM

Why would I need an IR extender. Wouldn't a RF remote control suit me best?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   nolesrule



  • 3,084 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2001
  • Real Name:Joe Kauffman
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted October 18 2007 - 01:57 PM

Your equipment most likely all receive IR signals from their remote controls. RF is rarely used for remotes.

What you need is a product like this:

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   James Edward

James Edward

    Supporting Actor

  • 858 posts
  • Join Date: May 01 2000

Posted October 18 2007 - 11:03 PM

I work as an A/V installer, so here are my extended thoughts- I think what the poster means by RF is a remote system that sends and receives RF through the cabinet, and a base station inside that converts the RF to IR. The base station then sends the IR via an emitter that is attached to the front of each piece of equipment. I use the MX-850 in such situations, and it works quite well. It is especially useful when you are using remote speakers, so you can change volume from anywhere(an IR repeater system still requires you to point at an eye to receive the signal). It will also allow you to change sources, tracks, etc., away from the equipment. There is also one less wire to run- the IR eye requires a wire from it to the connecting block from which the emitters are plugged into. Another issue is one of cost- you MUST use a plasma-proof eye when using an IR repeater where a plasma TV is present- they emit tons of IR signal and will frequently interfere with the repeater system. The plasma-proof receiver (eye) is probably twice as expensive as a non-plasma-proof one. I am a fan of RF in closed cabinet situations, though the guy I work for prefers IR repeater systems, as he thinks they are more reliable. I myself have not had issues with RF based systems. Having said that, either will work in your situation...
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.