What's new

Connecting Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers to LCD TV (1 Viewer)

tristan.dublin

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan
Hi

I have a problem connecting a (70-140 watt) Logitech X-540 sub & speakers to my Philips LCD TV. The speakers work great on the laptop. Watching movies is fantastic, more than enougn volume & bass.

I want to experience the same with my TV.

The only output I have on my TV is a headphone jack (as with my laptop). Sound does filter througn with good quality, but it is barely audible - completely useless.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I`m not sure what my options are. Do I have to buy a home theater solution? Or is there a work around, maybe a small amp?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tristan: What's the model of the Philips TV?

I would suspect it doesn't support 5.1 audio like the sound card in your laptop. How do you have your DVD player audio's hooked up to your TV? Stereo connections?

There are a number of recommendations on this forum for quality, affordable HTIB set-ups.

tristan.dublin

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan
Hi Mike

DVD Player? You must think I´m rich!!

Joking aside, I`m holding off on a DVD player until I size up my options. My TV is HD ready 32PFL5332, with 2 HDMI ports.

My preference would be to use my existing speakers than get a HTIB - as tempting as it is.

Perfect world: Use my existing speakers with a DVD-RW & HDD - with wireless of course.

Buffalo LinkTheater looks just the ticket but many reviews question its quality and implementation. Or if I could get a reasonably priced laptop with above features - but would it connect?

Much appreciate your help.

Tristan

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I just looked at the owner's manual for your TV (audio options are on page 16). It has something called Incredible Surround (available through the on-screen menu) which is a "fake" or "enhanced" surround capability. If you haven't tried that, it might improve the way those speakers translate the audio out from the TV.

Just checked out CNET's review of the Buffalo LinkTheater. Pretty interesting idea...but I guess you would have to weigh the expense of that device against a dedicated HTIB (some of which come with their own DVD player).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There's a set of jacks (red, white, yellow) labeled AV-Out. Use the Logitech's "Game console adapter" to convert the miniplug to a set of RCA-plugs.

Or, continue to use the headphone jack, simply turn up the volume on the TV all the way, adjusting the volume on the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks