What's new

Macbook optical out woes (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have a Mb C2D and a Denon 3806. I purchased a long run of optical cable (75' for my theater install). I also bought the little clip on connector that converts optical cable to the headphone jack.

When I plug it in, the internal speakers turn off but no sound comes out the other end.

I do have the correct optical input set to the channel its assigned to. I checked that quite a few times, and attempted to switch it just in case I was wrong, none of the other optical ports work either when set in the On Screen Display.

When I go to system set up, and then audio, when the cable is out it allows me to set the volume and mute as normal. With the cable in it recognizes that there is a digital audio connection set and since there is no volume settings allowed that gets greyed out.

My thoughts:
Set up error. Possible but I dont think so.
75' is too far a run for the macbook to drive. Doesnt seem likely.
The cable is cracked. Slight possibility.
I have the wrong connector (Monoprice is usually pretty on it with this stuff tho)
User error. Highly likely

Ideas?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, are you changing any settings on the Mac? I had audio problems concerning outputs on my Mac Pro, until I realized the proper output was not selected in the preferences pane -> audio. You may have tried this, but I'm not sure what settings you are referring to.

CJ

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
try a brand new short cable that you know works and see what happens...or try the 75' cable on a DVD player and see if the cable works.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
figured it out. it was set to the right input but that input was also looking at the 6 channel analogue in. Told that input to look for the optical and bam it works great!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks