Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Battleship Potemkin 2-disc SE - Oct. 23

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 18 2007 - 12:10 PM

Kino is releasing a new 2-disc SE of Sergei Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin on Oct. 23.

It'll have both the new restoration (with footage cut out before the official Russian release) and the regular familiar cut (that's on the old Image DVD). The restored version is remasterd in HD and will have the original Edmund Meisel orchestral score in 5.1 sound. As for extras, it'll have a making-of documentary, a restoration featurette, and a photo gallery. There's also optional English intertitles (no burned-in subs). Also seems to have a booklet.

www.silentera.com has the blurb.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 01:13 PM

Battleship Potemkin is extraordinary filmmaking - We studied it in great detail during my Film Studies class...I will have to pick this one up for sure. Thanks for the info!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 02:56 PM

Good news. However, I always thought that Criterion would be releasing this in their elusive (likely forgotten by now) Eisenstein: The Silent Years boxset? Of course, it has been nearly 6 years since I've heard anything about this set which never came to be.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Karl R

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 02:58 PM

Sooooo, I guess this is the death nail in Criterion's long-rumored Eisenstein: The Silent Years box set.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,698 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 18 2007 - 04:51 PM

Not necessarily. The problem is that Criterion knows there are better elements in Russia that they haven't been allowed to get their hands on, and they refuse to work with lesser elements knowing better ones are out there.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   DexterPQ

DexterPQ

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted August 19 2007 - 03:12 AM

Kino release the same restoration like Transit Film in Germany, so probably with PAL-NTSC ghosting like Metropolis.

According to the documentary on the DVD, Gosfilmofond of Russia (Russian State Film Archives) said, that the original camera negative is no longer copyable, so for the restauration they used three 35mm nitro film copies from the first generation found in London.

Screenshots from the Transit Film DVD
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Compare between Transit Film, Eureka and Films Sans Frontieres
http://www.criterion....5015&start=325

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 19 2007 - 05:35 AM

I really hope Kino actually goes for frame interpolation instead of a ghosted master. It's really annoying and they should know better.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted August 19 2007 - 10:45 AM

I agree! Unfortunately, given their track record, I don't have much hope for Kino to come up with a transfer that does the film justice. I think I'll buy the BFI version.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,582 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 12:50 AM

Pardon my ignorance, Patrick, but could you briefly explain what frame interpolation and ghosted masters are? Thanks.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 01:06 PM

The best version of this, and a few others of his films, are the French Integral boxset from Film Sans Frontieres. I think Gary has screenshots on dvdbeaver.com. Not easy to get but worth the effort. I highly doubt Kino's release will be better, if even close.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted August 21 2007 - 04:31 PM

Actually, the FsF box titles are available individually at most French etailers and pretty easy to get.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 22 2007 - 11:22 PM

This will make a fine version of a classic film. My only gripe is that they haven't included the wonderful Neil Tennant score (presumably for rights reasons). It's arguably an even better anachronistic soundtrack than the stunning 'In The Nursery' score for Hindle Wakes. I've never seen Potemkin with the Tennant score (despite unsuccessfully trying to sync up the old PAL DVD and CD....).

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 08:13 AM

Just picked up a copy today - something I did not know was even coming out - and I have never seen this film. Still, it should be interesting and hopefully the included documentary will be well done too. If there is anything some of you want me to check for regarding the video quality - such as the ghost master issue I'll be glad to help. I have no experience as of yet on what to look for but regardless one hopes Kino being aware will do it properly on this version. Seems like a waste not to.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 13 2007 - 12:56 PM

Since Patrick never came back... Anything mastered in PAL (R2) will have to be converted before being mastered for an NTSC release (R1). Without getting too technical (at which point I usually mess it up), PAL uses a different number of scanlines as well as a different framerate and manner of dealing with fields. Some conversion processes are better than others, but an NTSC downconversion of such a master will result in most frames looking "smeary" when you still-frame them, due to successive fields or frames being combined. Some folks can see this effect even when playing in real time. Brent, just step through several successive frames in which there is a lot of movement. You'll either see one crisp frame after another, or you'll see a moving object leave a "ghost" or a "trail" as it goes.
-Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users