-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD.. Toshiba HD-A2... need help


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 soshiv

soshiv

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 01 2007

Posted July 31 2007 - 08:35 AM

I am probably just confusing myself but here goes, I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and an Onkyo TX-SR605. I want to take advantage of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. How would I connect the player to the receiver to get this audio? From what I have read the toshiba is hdmi 1.2 which doesnt support True HD right? And if you connect through optical doesnt is downscale the audio? I am confused...

#2 of 9 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

    Lead Actor

  • 8,338 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 16 1998

Posted July 31 2007 - 09:22 AM

Does your Onkyo have at least hdmi 1.1? Or, does it have 5.1 or 7.1 digital audio connections (via multiple rca connectors)? If yes, then you're in luck because the player will decode the dd trueHD and send to your receiver as pcm. No luck regarding the dts HD though. You will get the down mixed dts at 1.5Mbps as the player does not decode dts HD.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 9 TheBat

TheBat

    Producer

  • 3,007 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 02 1999

Posted July 31 2007 - 09:35 AM

you need to buy an HDMI cable from the HD player to the receiver.. and also an HDMI or HDMI or dvi cable from the receiver to the tv set.

Jacob

#4 of 9 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,529 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted August 01 2007 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soshiv
I am probably just confusing myself but here goes, I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and an Onkyo TX-SR605. I want to take advantage of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. How would I connect the player to the receiver to get this audio? From what I have read the toshiba is hdmi 1.2 which doesnt support True HD right? And if you connect through optical doesnt is downscale the audio? I am confused...

No player on the market right now supports outputting the DD+ or TrueHD streams to a receiver. But that doesn't matter, because all players (including your A2) will decode the format internally and then send the decoded channels out as full multi-channel PCM streams over the HDMI. To take advantage of this, your receiver has to be able to handle multi-channel PCM, which your Onkyo 605 does. In addition, if there are ever any future players which will send the undecoded streams, the Onkyo is future proof because it will decode them itself. The best thing about this? Well aside from what may be minor diffences in decoding the lossy DD+ tracks, TrueHD is a lossless format, so whether decoded by the player or the receiver the result is exactly the same.

So for your setup, hook up an HDMI cable and set the HDMI output to "Bitstream"; you'll be getting the best audio possible from HD-DVD. Note that regardless of what format is being sent via the HD-A2 (visible by hitting the "Display" button), your Onkyo will display "DVD MultiChannel" with all HD audio sources (DD+, TrueHD). Regular DD/DTS will display normally.

Edit: As Neil said, DTS-HD is not decoded. It will only pass the DTS core (equal to regualr DTS).

#5 of 9 soshiv

soshiv

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 01 2007

Posted August 01 2007 - 06:21 PM

So technically I didnt need the tx-sr605? I could have gone with the tx-sr505? I wonder how it will sound with my setup: TOSHIBA HD-A2, ONKYO TX-SR605, KEF KHT-3005

#6 of 9 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,529 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted August 02 2007 - 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soshiv
So technically I didnt need the tx-sr605? I could have gone with the tx-sr505? I wonder how it will sound with my setup: TOSHIBA HD-A2, ONKYO TX-SR605, KEF KHT-3005

The 605 is future proof for HD audio and also handles video better than the 505, because it will upconvert composite, s-vid and component to HDMI. The 605 is also HDMI 1.3 compatible, which will be a plus with the next generation displays and players.

#7 of 9 Dalton

Dalton

    Screenwriter

  • 1,199 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2001

Posted August 05 2007 - 07:41 AM

Quote:
So for your setup, hook up an HDMI cable and set the HDMI output to "Bitstream"; you'll be getting the best audio possible from HD-DVD
Actually you should set the audio output of your player to "PCM" to get the high resolution audio. Bitstream will only get you the core DTS track for HD DVD's. The PCM setting will pass lossless PCM (for TrueHD) and Multi Ch. PCM for DD +.


Take Care,
Dalton

#8 of 9 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,529 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted August 06 2007 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton
Actually you should set the audio output of your player to "PCM" to get the high resolution audio. Bitstream will only get you the core DTS track for HD DVD's. The PCM setting will pass lossless PCM (for TrueHD) and Multi Ch. PCM for DD +.


Take Care,
Dalton

You are correct. Digital Out HDMI doesn't even have a "Bitstream" setting on the A2. Either "Auto" or "PCM" will suffice for his setup. Posted Image

#9 of 9 soshiv

soshiv

    Auditioning

  • 8 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 01 2007

Posted September 10 2007 - 04:45 PM

Update: My tx-sr605 is a victim of the constant clicking, apparantly this is a known problem with this model... I have returned it and am considering purchasing the tx-sr505 until I can save up enough for my denon 3808... will this tx-sr505 accept lossless audio via hdmi so that I can still get dolby TrueHD??


Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices



Forum Nav Content I Follow