Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official RESCUE DAWN Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 11:59 AM

I plan to see it this weekend.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 28 2007 - 08:19 AM

I think the amount of prints got cut back. We're pretty good about getting prints and we did not get Rescue Dawn, but of course my theatre had a ton of trailers of it! ;0

I can't wait to see it, I hear Christian Bale and Steve Zahn are quite good.

Ryan

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 28 2007 - 08:29 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Rescue Dawn". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Rescue Dawn" should be posted to this thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 02:07 PM

After seeing this film, I wonder if the ending was "inspired" or did it really happen? I know there is a documentary out there (I believe Werner Herzog also made it) so if anyone has seen it, please enlighten me. Posted Image

Thanks.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 12:44 AM

I haven't seen the film but this website http://www.rescuedawnthetruth.com/ has been put up by the families of the survivors. Apparently, there are several inaccuracies in the movie that they point them out and tell what really happened.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 02:13 AM

Did anyone else dislike this flick as much as I did? I think it's a combination of Bale (who I love as an actor but often cannot relate to) and Herzog's distant and matter-of-fact direction. I just found it very hard to get involved and care. Jeremy Davies' shtick is exceedingly annoying.

The ending is supposed to play as this great emotional catharsis, but it doesn't feel earned, althought I know it intellectually that it is. Hope this makes sense...

EDIT: Yeah it's Bale. The more I think about it the more obvious it is. Awesome actor, but I cannot empathize. Weird.

--
H

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Did anyone else dislike this flick as much as I did? I think it's a combination of Bale (who I love as an actor but often cannot relate to) and Herzog's distant and matter-of-fact direction. I just found it very hard to get involved and care. Jeremy Davies' shtick is exceedingly annoying.

The ending is supposed to play as this great emotional catharsis, but it doesn't feel earned, althought I know it intellectually that it is. Hope this makes sense...

EDIT: Yeah it's Bale. The more I think about it the more obvious it is. Awesome actor, but I cannot empathize. Weird.

--
H

I don't think Bale can be blamed. I think the direction is more to blame than the performances. I agree with you it was hard to get involved and care especially with that ending.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 08:00 AM

The only part I disliked was the very end. Everything up to the rescue was fantastic, but the ending felt tacked on and kinda cheap. Still a 3.5/4 for me.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Walter Przybylowski

Walter Przybylowski

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 08:52 AM

The documentary that Werner Herzog made about Dieter Dengler does clarify a few things. The ending is apparently true, which makes its re-enactment at the end of Rescue Dawn a mixture of surrealism and documentary recreation. I think to get hung up on the film as some sort of formulaic approach to POW films that just missed its beats would be unfair. If anything the matter of fact crash and minimal development leading to that scene show that Herzog's real interest lies solely with the effects on the human psyche that such an event would render on an individual. As represented by the three prisoners, one mad, the other given up on life, and Dengler relying on his own resources to make an escape happen, whether the film renders accurate portraits of the real life counterparts, is missing the point for Herzog. Though to try and intellectualize a Herzog film is a tricky thing, they almost always work on some kind of subliminal level (at first, though methods can be found as ive watched Grizzly Man a number of times and find its structure quite amazing.) That said I was somewhat overwhelmed by the ending and found it to be completely satisfying, repeat viewing are a worthwhile endeavor.