What's new

General Discussion Movie Themes and/or Soundtracks you dislike (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The first movie that came to mind when I saw this thread title is 127 Hours. Danny Boyle directed it with music by A.R. Rahman.

The movie is about James Franco's character becoming trapped under a boulder for the titular amount of time. I really thought it was a mistake for the movie to have a score at that point. The film wants to depict what that experience was like, but having music underscore defeats that because the character wouldn't have heard any music while stuck.

I think it would have been a much more claustrophobic and effective choice if we, the audience, didn't hear any music during this bulk of the movie either. A.R. Rahman is a talented composer and he wrote a wonderful score for Danny Boyle's previous film, Slumdog Millionaire. But his work for this film took me out of the story. I don't think he even did a bad job for this movie. It is just a story that would have been much more effective in silence. Score at the beginning before Franco gets stuck, and at the end after his rescue, would have been the only places I put music in that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks