-

Photo
- - - - -

5-disc "Blade Runner"/"Harry Potter" sets (Blu-ray/HD DVD) coming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
212 replies to this topic

#1 of 213 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:22 AM

http://www.videobusi.../CA6461120.html

"The Harry Potter set, priced at $119.97 standard-definition and $149.99 Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD, will hold the first five films including the most recent theatrical installment, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It represents the first time Warner has enhanced a Potter collection with exclusive memorabilia, which includes bookmarks and collectible trading cards.

The five-disc Blade Runner set is $78.92 and four-disc is $34.99. Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date."

#2 of 213 OFFLINE   Rob Young

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:33 AM

the price diff for the 5 and 4 disc bladerunner set must be a typo as I can't see why the 5 disc would cost so much unless it comes with some statue or something. I realize the 4 disc may be the dvd version and 5 disc for the next gen but at more than double the price? No way.

I am giddy for the Harry Potter set

#3 of 213 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K

The five-disc Blade Runner set is $78.92 and four-disc is $34.99. Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date."

Whoah! What's on the one additional disc to warrant more than doubling the price? Sounds like robbery to me.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#4 of 213 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:37 AM

Good the hear the HP set will contain all the films. I'm so glad I didn't spring for that UK Import of Goblet. Posted Image

Hopefully we'll be getting dates soon for both Blade Runner and the HP set.
Death before Streaming!

#5 of 213 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:42 AM

It sounds like the 5 disc Blade Runner is only confirmed for the dvd set. Surely the BD and possibly the HD set could lose at least one disc. Using the same price structure from Harry Potter the Blade Runner set should be about $100.

I posted this last night and it got moved to the SD board. I almost never even go over there anymore. Posted Image

#6 of 213 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
It sounds like the 5 disc Blade Runner is only confirmed for the dvd set. Surely the BD and possibly the HD set could lose at least one disc. Using the same price structure from Harry Potter the Blade Runner set should be about $100.

I posted this last night and it got moved to the SD board. I almost never even go over there anymore. Posted Image
You are probably right on the price. It is going to be a little steep for a single movie, not matter how much I would like it.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#7 of 213 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 05:22 AM

Yes, I'm not paying $80 or $100 for any movie (or variations of it). Hopefully, there will be a trimmed down, more reasonably priced version.

#8 of 213 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 18 2007 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Yes, I'm not paying $80 or $100 for any movie (or variations of it). Hopefully, there will be a trimmed down, more reasonably priced version.

In the case of Blade Runner you could always get the remastered single disc that came out last year. How does $10 grab ya?

#9 of 213 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 05:33 AM

Since we focus on the price (they´re always eventually cheaper than in the first press release): Harry Potter set - $119.97 standard-definition and $149.99 HD. HD-set costs only 30$ more.. This must make some "SD DVD only"-fans upset and at least consider of getting that HD-player.

HD software should be almost as cheap as the SD DVD. That would speed up things.

#10 of 213 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 05:37 AM

I wonder if they take a chance of two encodings, one for HD-DVD and one for Blu-ray to take advantege of having BD50 hmm.

I am in for both boxsets Posted Image

Marek

#11 of 213 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
It sounds like the 5 disc Blade Runner is only confirmed for the dvd set.

The article states "Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date."
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 213 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 18 2007 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
The article states "Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date."

It wont take 5 discs to put the thing on Blu or HDDVD. Remember the space!

#13 of 213 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER

or we will get several cuts of movie ?
or all extras in 1080p ? hmm

I would be happy with one BD50 for movie, all cuts via seamless brenching Posted Image DolbyTrueHD, plus one BD50 for all extras...

Marek

#14 of 213 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 08:25 AM

interesting info RUMOURED SPECS around net... !!

post from Mr. Gong on avs
http://www.avsforum.....

Quote:
most of the rumored specs floating around the internet indicate that the set WILL include seamless branching. but there won't be 3 versions of the movie, there'll be 5. the final cut allegedly will get its own disc on disc 1. disc 2 will be divided among the international cut, the original theatrical release and the '92 director's cut via seamless branching. disc 3 will be a feature-length documentary (presumably in high definition, if it's taking up a whole disc) with some assorted extras, disc 4 should be the main collection of featurettes, galleries, trailers, etc. and disc 5 is apparently split between the original workprint version of the film (pre-release circa 1981) with extra footage, alternate cuts, diffent editing, different music, etc., and the bbc documentary "on the edge of blade runner."

as to why all five different cuts would not be seamlessly branched together, i can only presume that between the final cut, the dc/international cut/domestic, and the workprint, each of those three represents a fairly significant difference in print/transfer quality. seamless branching is only seamless so long as the footage being intercut all looks the same, i.e. came from the same master, was all restored effectively, etc. if i had to guess, i'd say that having to re-edit the final cut made it impractical to make it seamlessly branched, and that the workprint has to be separated because it represents a cut of the film with its own, different audio cues and editing/pacing, and no doubt comes from or includes print elements that have not been preserved to the same standard as the other cuts'

this is all speculation, of course. sure would love to know straight from the horse's mouth exactly what is on the release.

#15 of 213 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 08:27 AM

Quote:

If all the versions are in HD (which they better be) I think they do need the space, especially if seamless branching isn't (or can't be) used. Plus Warner will probably go the lower space 25gig route with BD because they have a one size fits all policy.
Death before Streaming!

#16 of 213 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 09:02 AM

Now I want the game to be rewritten for XP and Vista. Let's spend the next ten years lobbying for that, ok?
Posted Image
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 213 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 02:56 AM

New Blade Runner information from dvdactive:

http://www.dvdactive....final-cut.html

It looks like we will not be wanting for options when we go to purchase this one. Sign me up for the 5-disc digipak BD please. Posted Image

Note to the mods:

I posted this here to avoid creating another thread, but since this thread deals with the release of two properties, perhaps splitting it out would be in order?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#18 of 213 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 02:58 AM

The amount of content in the Blade Runner release is staggering.

#19 of 213 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 03:11 AM

Wow, that is a ridiculous amount of content! I would be truly surprised if all of the versions of the film on the 5-disc (or less) HD/BD version is not in HD.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#20 of 213 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,772 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 26 2007 - 03:28 AM

Seems like I need to clear some room off the shelves for Blade Runner, don't I? And clear an entire week to get through all the features. This is great news!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow